Got lasered, BEL550 saved me
Today I got lasered in a county single lane road at 300metres ('bout 1100feet) and the BEL 550 Euro saved me once again from a ticket avoiding a fine of about $100.
The LEO was using an LTI Ultralyte 100LR and was using the Survey mode, the gun was shooting continously for 4-5 seconds. After passing them, Ku 13,140GHz band went "off", because there was a mini-Gatso radar installed inside a police black vehicle without any POLICE signs on it, reading speeds of traffic on the opposite lane! Lucky me, I was signaling coming vehicles then, to slow down!
My last LTI "date" was in June, on the 3 lanes motorway, same gun and the LEO was using the speed mode. The gun was shooting with pause intervals of 3-4 seconds. The Bel 550 went off from a distance of about 700-800 metres (2300-2600 feet) and I was speeding at 170kph. Couldn't see anything ahead, only the road. After some seconds and after a hard braking to 120kph I saw the LEO and his Ultralyte, and while passing them by he would stop the car I passed by 1km earlier... :-)
I just love my BEL 550, it saved me from a lot front lasers, usually LTIs.
well thats one for the record. "Lucky me" the word buddy. You sure know alot about the cops set up you sure your not a cop :?:
No, I'm not one. Whoever has radars as a hobby, to learn & defend, must be a cop?
I happen to read this forum on a daily basis too, and my 10 y.o. rd usage explain the knowledge
Yoda of Radar
$100 possible ticket was at the 1st laser (70kph limit).
2nd laser was $200 plus court plus possible driver's license removal of 1-3 months.
I have some simple questions. If you could only answer them, so we have a more clear view of your experiencies.
1. Where exactly do you live ? Europe or America ? I can guess that you live either in UK or Greece. I bet my money in Greece as it's the country with the highest percentage in Ultralyte usage, when at the same time, police uses very often the mini-Gatsos.
2. Where is your Bel 550 mounted ? I suppose it's windshield, but where exactly ? Low, Middle, High ?
3. What car do you drive ? What colour ?
4. Do you use Veil or Laser Shield ?
5. How often do you have alerts from your Bel 550 ? What revision is the 550 ? They say the last, the 5.1, is very good with laser, especially Ultralytes, but still I had no alerts until now, even though it's mounted low in the windshield.
6. I understand that you have received scatter and the 550 alerted you. How close to the other car where you and how good shooter was the LEO (did you see if he had a steady hand when shooting ?) ?
7. As I understand, your approach was from the back, as you got towards the mini-Gatso. At what distance the 550 detected it's presence ?
All these numbers, are very important to evaluate the Bel 550 , the most famous RD in Europe today.
Thnx for your time and your answers.
PS. SmaartAasSaabr, the 170 Km/h and 100$ are different. If blueox is from Greece (very likely), then in highways where the PSL is 120 Km/h, if you are over 140 Km/h then you have your licence suspended for some months (the court decides but police suspends it 1-3 months whatever the decision of the court is), the fine is about 800$ (usually the court gives the standard fine of 352 euros which almost doubles when they ask you to pay, and if you don't have the money with you, which is very usual, as there are no people carrying 800$ for such cases, they jail you up to 2 months). But if you are in other roads, and you are up to 20 over the PSL it's just a simple fine of 25$ and if you are up to 40 over the PSL the fine is 100$ and 3 points in the Point System (25 of them and you have to re-exam for driving licence). If you are over 40 of the PSL, or over 130 Km/h then you go to court and the procedure is the same as above.