Thread: bel hardwire??

Speed Demon

Default bel hardwire??

I have heard that you can use a regular phone cord to hardwire a bel...is this true?? if so, what color wires do you use as pos &neg???

Professional

Default Re: bel hardwire??

Quote Originally Posted by jdreynss
    I have heard that you can use a regular phone cord to hardwire a bel...is this true?? if so, what color wires do you use as pos &neg???
    Yes this is true. Don't worry about colors. Go to radio shack or Wal-mart or where ever and get "RJ11" standard phone cord. Works great no worries

Good Citizen

Yes you can, don't know which wire is voltage and ground though. You can use a Valentine Direct-Wire Power adapter (I can't give the price for this due to forum rules) to hook it to the cars electrical system. There is also a direct wire from Bel that has lugs already connected to the wire (I can't give you the price due to forum rules). I replaced my V1 in my second car with a BEL, all I did was unhook the V1, verify with a test light that the voltage and ground wires were the same, and hook the Bel up, so now my V1s and Bel are interchangeable.

Newcomer

Default Re: bel hardwire??

If you look at the flat side of the RJ-11, NOT THE LEVER SIDE, the #3 wire from the left is Hot and #2 is the Ground wire.

You can make your own "invisicord" with 18-2 wire from parts available at your local H.D. 8)

I just hardwired both of my cars today. One tapping 12v from the powered mirror, and the other from the sunroof's powersource.

Radar Fanatic

What i did was go into radio shack and get a standard 12 foot phone cord and then a peice (don't know the name of it) that lets you link two male ends of the phone cords together. I then just ran the cord under the fabric on the side of my car it came out very nice.

I am thinking about doing direct wire myself. Does anyone know how to make a remote mute button. In the car I do not need the big box with the diodes, but the button would be nice to mute it. I could probably wire it to the steering wheel controls that I already have. Did anyone try to connect just a mute switch to it?