Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default RX65 vs Multanova - Perth Western Australia

Greetings all,

After seeing all the posts, I'd thought I share my experience.

I've had my RX65 for over 6 months now. I have it mounted just above my rear view mirror and just below the upper tint. I turn off x band, k band and SWS, leaving only KA superwide and Laser, as the main threats here are the 6F multanova tripods and handheld lasers. Multanovas here are placed facing oncoming traffic.

During my encounters with the various multanova traps I find I get a varying range of detection - anywhere between 500 metres to only 50 metres of warning sometimes.

I also find that my detector usually needs a direct line of sight with the multanova unit in order to give adequate warning time, otherwise if I'm following a large truck/4wd or if the multanova unit is blocked by other objects, I wont get a warning till less than 50-100 metres.

I've heard that some multanovas operate on varying power outputs from very high to very low, hence the resulting fluctuations of detection range.

Has anyone else had this problem of varying detection and is there any other way to improve my detection range?

I've tried mounting high and low, but get pretty much the same results.

Any comments/advice/experiences welcome!

Good Citizen

For starters, I'd switch K-band back on as the vehicle mounted radar used here is the Decatur Genesis II Select, K-BAND.

Unfortunately you have your detector pretty much mounted in the best place (for radar detection at least). You will not get much better than the performance you are already getting with your RX65.

Cheers,

Ford_Power

Lead Foot

Default Re: RX65 vs Multanova - Perth Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by almo899
    During my encounters with the various multanova traps I find I get a varying range of detection - anywhere between 500 metres to only 50 metres of warning sometimes.

I also find that my detector usually needs a direct line of sight with the multanova unit in order to give adequate warning time, otherwise if I'm following a large truck/4wd or if the multanova unit is blocked by other objects, I wont get a warning till less than 50-100 metres.

I've heard that some multanovas operate on varying power outputs from very high to very low, hence the resulting fluctuations of detection range.

Has anyone else had this problem of varying detection and is there any other way to improve my detection range?

I've tried mounting high and low, but get pretty much the same results.

Any comments/advice/experiences welcome!
    Unfortunately traffic has a big effect on the weak emitting Multanovas, especially when facing oncoming traffic, and in order to get decent warning distances you need a direct beam hit, if there are other cars on the road directly in front, they will block it and the scatter is not enough for an early warning, up until 50-100m.

This is why its even more difficult to get early warning when the tripod is facing "away", since you rely on rebounds. In fact, in this scenario, traffic can sometimes play a role in your favor, since afte vehicles pass the radar, they bounce the radar back towards you as you are approaching. For example, and extreme case is if you get a bus with a big flat and vetical rear that is right in from of the radar, you can sometimes be surprised with an unusual early warning from it.

Like FordPower says, you already have the detector mounted on the right place, and thats as good as its going to get. For better distances you would need a narrow band detector like the V1 in EuroMode o a Bel550.

Newcomer

Sell it and get an X50.. ive used both and while they have similar maximum ranges, the X50 is a whole lot more reliable at getting you decent warning every time..

Newcomer

i think the rx-65 is better at ka than the x50

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cervan
    I have tested both current version 6.1 units and the X50 was consistantly a faster alerting detector (3-4 seconds at 60km/h) and ramps up correctly according to your distance from the radar source, Ka-Band Multanova.

So my money is on the X50 over the RX65. Tested in July, Perth, Australia.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by intregrah
    the X50 is a whole lot more reliable at getting you decent warning every time..
    Fully Agree

You can check out my video of the X50 Vs RX65 here :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4799519&q=rx65

Tested on Morley Drive - Dianella.

(FYI - Although the RX65 is a quality detector, You should be able to get approx $450 for your RX65 in the Quokka if you were looking to sell it, as I did with my RX65 last month.)

Thanks, I hope this helps.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by cervan
    not against photo-radar

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by intregrah
    Sell it and get an X50.. ive used both and while they have similar maximum ranges, the X50 is a whole lot more reliable at getting you decent warning every time..
    X 3 - X50 better against multanova every time.

Newcomer

So fastnfurious80, would u say Bel STi XR is better then the X50 on Ka? Sold my RX65 and just got my STi last week, yet to meet a multanova.

I know that for a fact the Bel STi is better then the RX65 on K band, about 150m - 200m better .Tested on Freeway North after South street exit. There is a permanated K radar speed reader station there.