Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1

    Default RX65 Airport Laser Falsing

    Not sure if it is really falsing (I think those weather things are actually putting out laser, there might be some kind of landing system that uses laser as well) but it is annoying the hell out of me. At the request of compu44 I am going to move my RX65 around to see if it will reduce/eliminate the laser falsing from airports. My car has a slight tint band at the top of the front windsheild, I will attach the Bel there. There is also a area above the mirror that has lots of little black dots painted on, I will try it there on the way to work tomorrow. I am concerned that if I place it behind the dots that the radar detection will be reduced and the laser detection will be non-existant. I'll post the first round of results later tonight.

  2. #2
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default Re: RX65 Airport Laser Falsing

    Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    Not sure if it is really falsing (I think those weather things are actually putting out laser, there might be some kind of landing system that uses laser as well) but it is annoying the hell out of me. At the request of compu44 I am going to move my RX65 around to see if it will reduce/eliminate the laser falsing from airports. My car has a slight tint band at the top of the front windsheild, I will attach the Bel there. There is also a area above the mirror that has lots of little black dots painted on, I will try it there on the way to work tomorrow. I am concerned that if I place it behind the dots that the radar detection will be reduced and the laser detection will be non-existant. I'll post the first round of results later tonight.
    I will be very surprised if it has any effect at all. From what I understand, it isn't actual laser that is causing the false alerts, but very strong pulses of RF at similar frequency as police laser. The tint band will pass RF no problem.

    Jim

  3. #3

    Default

    Wonder why the V1 never picked it up?

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Aah, I was under the impression that the detector was alerting to a actual lidar-like signal, not RF. Would be easy enough to tell, simply place a piece of opaque tape over the front of the detector and the lasereye on the top. If it is an RF issue, it would make sense that the v1 might not alert since it's a metal casing, seems that would shield the components better.

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    If it's really something that looks like lidar then the V1 should have picked it up. It falses laser on all kinds of things.

  6. #6

    Default

    Also, it has been a while since I have flown and I never have flown in a large airport, but I think that I remember a pilot telling me that there was laser guidance for landing at the larger airports. There is definately some type of guidance, can't remember if it is laser though...

  7. #7
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    Also, it has been a while since I have flown and I never have flown in a large airport, but I think that I remember a pilot telling me that there was laser guidance for landing at the larger airports. There is definately some type of guidance, can't remember if it is laser though...
    Think you might be able to try the tape thing too? Sorry to be asking so much, but the closest airport that will set of my laser alert is over an hour away. If it really is a laser signal and not RF interference, it would be a great way to test and see if your tint strip would effect laser detection. I'd sure rather have my detector behind the tint for theft-prevention purposes, but I don't want to give laser detection in the process.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    If it's really something that looks like lidar then the V1 should have picked it up. It falses laser on all kinds of things.
    I agree, the V1 would false on laser when driving underneath of one of those big digital message boards on the freeway. The V1 never falsed laser around the airport though...I bet Jim is right, it probably is RF.

    If it is RF, then it should still go off even if the detector is not on the windsheild right (I could set it in my lap)? Or would it be better to just cover up the laser detector part.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Think you might be able to try the tape thing too?
    Sure, I drive by it twice a day and the LEOs here are not using LIDAR, yet. I'll do something a little different on every pass.

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AceFreely
    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    If it's really something that looks like lidar then the V1 should have picked it up. It falses laser on all kinds of things.
    I agree, the V1 would false on laser when driving underneath of one of those big digital message boards on the freeway. The V1 never falsed laser around the airport though...I bet Jim is right, it probably is RF.

    If it is RF, then it should still go off even if the detector is not on the windsheild right (I could set it in my lap)? Or would it be better to just cover up the laser detector part.
    I would cover the ports. RF signals will pass right thought tape, but lidar won't. Remember that the RX has two laser sensors, one on the front, and the little black half-circle on the top.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. RX65 K falsing?
    By Swift101 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM
  2. rX65 FALSING ON POP IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
    By clay143 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 10:06 PM
  3. airport laser
    By mikemote in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
  4. Airport Laser falsing
    By partsfreak in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 09:05 PM
  5. RX65 falsing KA1????????
    By NRTrackChamp2004 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 06:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •