PA 146mm 2x K pulse within 1 mile – saw nothing
    PA 138mm Pop False
    VA 202.3mm KA 34.xxx from behind – see details below

I-77 South
    Nothing

I-85 South
    Nothing

VA encounter @ 202:
    I got a Ka blip while I was passing. So I backed off and slid in between the two cars.
    Then I passed a RV going up the hill. Pulled back in – only going 70 in a 65. Then I see the trooper at mach 5 catching up.
    So I pull out the map, like I’m reading it (and to cover the radar detector). He slows a bit but motors right on by.
    Then catches up to a jeep that I had been following/catching up to. Pulls him over.
    The truckers were saying that he wasn’t even speeding, but probably looked guilty by pulling over so fast.
    I actually put the STI in the instrument cluster , pointing up through the cluster and the speaker/defrost vent. Not ideal, but it worked okay.
    Lesson: Act innocent

Driving like an idiot in VA:
    I was following a black G6 GTP for about 30 minutes. He’d do a lot of “squeeze plays” that’s what I call it when you pass on the right and really don’t have much real estate to work with. So he goes 100+ between groups of cars, lots of tight passing on the right and I just follow. Maybe 90 between groups, some passing on the right, but much more relaxed about it.
    The truckers said “who lit his tampon on fire” about the G6 (funniest thing for the truckers), but never mentioned me.
    So I average the same speed but nobody notices me.
    Lesson: Don’t be a dick

Encounters from the previous post.
    One encounter w/ 35.498 KA - Kustom/Decatur radar
    It was on 18mm in Maine I-95 North
    got a KA blip at about 15.5 - only about 2-3 seconds
    KA again at 16.7/16.8 - kept going until I crossed paths with a South Bound LEO at 18mm.
    That's over 2.5 miles until we crossed – so almost 5 miles - I never expected that sort of range.

South Bound at 4mm
    KA 33.642 - LEO was NB we crossed at 3mm - so about 2 miles there., there was an overpass between us.

I did find that I got more falses with SWS on when traveling around Atlanta I-20/I-285 area. So I shut it off.

Lots of Drones in PA, some in MA too and 1 in NY
    I wrote down a few of the K drone frequencies: 24.136x3-109-143-140-138 I didn’t write them all down.

Radar is mounted high just under the blue strip in my windshield (except In VA)
    Mode = H
    X-K-KA-Laser-POP = on
    SWS = off

I did have the Bear trip list, there are some others not listed.
    The funniest one was in SC at the 19. He could have been stuck in the ditch. Way over, one wheel on each side of the drainage ditch – radar was off, over a crest. That could have been ugly.

4,000 miles and only 3 real encounters.
    Be careful what we wish for right!!

* edit - I changed I-95 in GA to I-85

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: STI 4,000 miles in 11 days review

Quote Originally Posted by turbotroll
    I was following a black G6 GTP for about 30 minutes. He’d do a lot of “squeeze plays” that’s what I call it when you pass on the right and really don’t have much real estate to work with. So he goes 100+ between groups of cars, lots of tight passing on the right and I just follow. Maybe 90 between groups, some passing on the right, but much more relaxed about it.
    The truckers said “who lit his tampon on fire” about the G6 (funniest thing for the truckers), but never mentioned me.
    Lesson: Don’t be a *BEEP*
    I've had that kind of thing happen to me so many times... Guy ahead is doing all kinds of crazy stuff and I'm just sitting in the lane but somehow he doesn't get away from me

Pointing up through the speaker/defroster grille? Hmmm...

Professional

i think the STi is by far the best Ka detector, if you even look at GOL tests it did exceptionally well, it wasn't always first but very close to the leader in every band. That explains the 2+ miles detection you get sometimes :P

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Lesson: Don’t be a *BEEP*
    I've had that kind of thing happen to me so many times... Guy ahead is doing all kinds of crazy stuff and I'm just sitting in the lane but somehow he doesn't get away from me

Pointing up through the speaker/defroster grille? Hmmm...
    Yep, that's VA. Some people drive like that due to a number of factors. Some of them being that the traffic is too dense and VA has no traffic flow control. People go slow in the left lane and won't get out of your way no matter what. I like driving in Maryland better.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    ... and VA has no traffic flow control...
    Sorry, what's traffic flow control? Maybe a real-life example when the traffic flow control would help a lot... TIA

Radar Fanatic

[quote="turbotroll"]
    South Bound at 4mm
    KA 33.642 - LEO was NB we crossed at 3mm - so about 2 miles there., there was an overpass between us./quote]

Did the STi display 33.642 throughout the whole alert? That's radar was BAD out of tune if it did. Over 150MHz out.

Radar Fanatic

[quote="compu44"]
    South Bound at 4mm
    KA 33.642 - LEO was NB we crossed at 3mm - so about 2 miles there., there was an overpass between us./quote]

Did the STi display 33.642 throughout the whole alert? That's radar was BAD out of tune if it did. Over 150MHz out.
    That's scary. The RX-65 in USA mode (or 985 in Accusweep mode) would have missed that radar. STi doesn't have USA mode so that's not an issue with it. The radar may be out of tune, but I'll bet they're writing lots of tickets with it.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Default Out of Tune

The STI alerted at the frequency all the time.

I just double checked the notes and I wrote the frequency twice. Once messy and once with the 6 much harder.

That would be a get out of a ticket free card I guess.

Radar Fanatic

I guess my area keeps a pretty tight watch on their calibrations. I run USA mode on my RX65, and I still ignore anything more than 50MHz out Most of the time. Still - scary.