Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POP on 895

Default POP on 895

OK. I have read all of the posts but still do not find a clear cut answer:

With POP DISABLED, can you still detect a LEO using it on other cars? The town I live in has police that seem found of the instant on radar while cruising, but not the highway patrol.

I would really like to turn the thing off to avoid all the falses I get. What are your thoughts?

Newcomer

Sorry. I can't help you with your question on POP, but since you own a 895, I was hoping you might be able to help me. I'm thinking about buying my first radar detector, and I'd like to know how you decided on going with the 895 over one of the more expensive models. I saw the 895 at RadioShack and it seemed like a good deal. Thanks.

Professional

i don't think the 895 detects pop at all :?

Power User

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ar-testing.asp

According to Roy's 2005 SML results, the 895 detects K band POP but not Ka band POP which is highly suspicious.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by <<JAZZY>>
    http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ar-testing.asp

According to Roy's 2005 SML results, the 895 detects K band POP but not Ka band POP which is highly suspicious.
    The K band is wider and thus easier to pick-up on the detectors. Ka pop - would be hella hard to pickup in Real Life Situation.

I wouldn't be woried about POP - its not enforceable(in court, doesn't mean they don't use it) I take my chances though.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    The K band is *narrow[er]* (Then Ka)
    I also agree with bauzer I wouldn't worry to much about POP... I will say with it 'on', it alerts to all the Cobras in the area... just like the Top-3 do.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    The K band is *narrow[er]* (Then Ka)
    I also agree with bauzer I wouldn't worry to much about POP... I will say with it 'on', it alerts to all the Cobras in the area... just like the Top-3 do.
    Thanks for correcting me. :-D

Thanks guys!!! That is pretty much what I thought. If I do turn it off, and a LEO decides to use it on me or the car in front of me, I am not totally out of luck since he'd switch to full radar right?

He, Needradar, I chose the 895 due to its performance and price. I only had $159, and after trying the Cobra's and Whistlers, I settled on the 895. I have been very happy so far....

Speed Demon

According to the manuf, POP should be used to get quick reading and then switch to regular mode (CO/IO) to get true reading. However, this doesn't mean that the LEO is going to do so before deciding to pull you over.

Also, I don't believe any court has set a precedent that POP is not enforceable. It would be great to see some documentation if any court has said it is *not* admissible as evidence.

You should look up one of the stickies and see if POP has been reported in your state/city. If not, then you can turn it off. But do keep checking periodically so that you don't find out the hard way.

Good Citizen

Yes like said in other threads, the v895 at its current price is a great performer for the money. It will false more than the "Top 3", but it is still a great detector, hey it won the 2005 Motortrend Shootout. I have had very good luck with mine so far. One of the best 150 bucks I have spent so far.