Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Buying RX65 in NYC - Ka Narrow selection version?

Hi all - my first post here

I'm soon off to USA and plan to buy RX65 (being much cheaper there).

First problem is - is there a way to know whether it is a new (M4) or old version in a store? FCCID? serial#?

Second one - is there different EU version?
    There are different KA-band selections:
    1. Ka => Wide/Narrow/Off
    2. Ka => USA/Intl/OFF
    Is the first EU version or just newer firmware?

Being from europe, I would like finding one with Ka Narrow selection.

Any recommended stores in NYC?

Thanks

Radar Fanatic

Just about anything in the store should be the newer antenna, if you would notice a difference anyways. The way to check is once you buy it reset your settings and it will show the firmware version. If you don't like it being it is the older one then just return it were you bought it.

rx65 for ka has usa/intl/off and that is it for ka.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    There is a version of RX65 which can choose Ka: Wide/Narrow/Off
    A guy in our group in croatia has it, i'll ask him for a photo and to get me the firmware version.

I just dont know whether that is a new firmware version or some kind or european version...

Thnx

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by max666
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    There is a version of RX65 which can choose Ka: Wide/Narrow/Off
    A guy in our group in croatia has it, i'll ask him for a photo and to get me the firmware version.

I just dont know whether that is a new firmware version or some kind or european version...

Thnx
    You might be talking about the Bel remote 975, it has narrow band Ka option. Here is a thread from another person in Croatia that posted about it:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...narrow&start=0

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    You might be talking about the Bel remote 975, it has narrow band Ka option. Here is a thread from another person in Croatia that posted about it:
    No, I am actually talking about RX65, i will try to get a photo of the device having setting for Ka narrow.

Truth is nobody havent any info about this so the guy might be faking, but he says he has RX65 with Ka options: Ka => Wide/Narrow/Off

argh, why is so hard placing european options in device

Power User

The only Ka option on RX65 is Ka USA. In USA the detector only sweeps the areas of 33.8, 34.7, and 35.5 for USA Ka radar guns. Or the RX65 international setting which scans the entire Ka band. There is no narrow band option for europe.

I have the V985 and it has the option to turn on or off the full Super Wide Ka band and just have the dedicated USA Ka bands sweeped.

just checked a RX65 manual online and it has the option to turn Ka USA on or off and Intl on or off and Ku on or off. Is Ka Narrow band a different animal all together?

Newcomer

If I was looking at this my take on it would be:

USA = Narrow
    Intl = Wide

As Intl scans the whole band and therefore is "wide" and USA just scans a "narrow" portion of it..

just my 2c, but I could be wrong

But the eurpoean version might be scanning a different "narrow" section of the band...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Quattro
    just checked a RX65 manual online and it has the option to turn Ka USA on or off and Intl on or off and Ku on or off. Is Ka Narrow band a different animal all together?
    Yes, "Ka Narrow" (as it is normally referred to) is a different animal. It is meant for use with weak photo radar, the detector only sweeps the 34.3 GHz range instead of the whole superwide Ka band, resulting in a sensitivity increase.

Some detectors with Ka narrow include the BEL 990i, The BEL Target Euro 550, the BEL Target EVO 966r, The BEL 975r, and the Valentine One in Euro Mode.

To the best of my knowledge, the RX-65 is intended for use in North America, there is no separate "Euro" version with Ka Narrow for photo radar.

I'll be surprised if the detector max666 is describing does indeed exist, more than likely something got confused. But if it does exist, maybe it is some kind of "hack" where someone flashed firmware from one model into another model. I've heard of that being done before overseas.