Newcomer

Default RX65 - K band from Traffic Info signs

I was wondering at what distance the Traffic Info signs get (usually) detected by a Bel RX65 and how they actually disperse their signal over the road.

I just bought mine and I am not very experienced (yet). It's constantly on Highway mode, all bands on. There is some major roadwork going on here so they put up those traffic info signs saying to slow down etc. and they give out a K-band alert. Well, I don't know at what distance they are supposed to be detected. I get one bar of K-band at about 300 yards (or 300 meter) and rising up to full alert as I get closer in the next few seconds. Then when I came back I was on the opposite side of the highway of course, two lane's both ways and in the middle a grass plain the width of about 4 lanes. Now it doesn't detect anything when I come back which I thought was kinda odd.

Do you have to mount it at a different place for a better RADAR detection? They don't use Laser here so I got only a single false from another SUV once in a while. I mounted it first pretty low on the windshield but since it's a low car (Buick Park Avenue) I tried mounting it higher on the windshield with slightly better detection (the weather conditions changed though). Or is radar only directed into a certain beam and there is low scattering of the radio signal?

It detected a LEO from about 500m (500 yards) on Ka 1-3 bars hiding in an anal 40-zone, I didn't have to pass him. And another LEO driving on the opposite side of the road tagging everyone with a one-bar Ka and then as he passed me he must have shot me because it went all of a sudden to 5 and dropped down again.

I was just wondering if this was normal behaviour or should it detect earlier/farther?

A tip for people on the border of NY and PA (Olean, Bradford, Warren areas): hunting season for cops is open, they literally sit next to each other (It detected and I confirmed 5 cops on an 8-mile strip). They think since they solved the Ralph "Bucky" Phillips affair that they solved all crime in the area and can sit on the side of the road half of their shifts again. If you don't have an RD, don't go too fast or get an RD it's worth the $300.

Radar Fanatic

there are so many variables you need to take into thought...that its just impossible to give u an answer to your specific question..

i would just say, if it alerts to you early enough to give you sufficient time to slow down, then you are all good

Professional

I'm upstate ny on Fort Drum,and recently i had to travel down 81 to Syracuse and to Rochester,and both times the state troopers where parked back into the woods instead of their normal spots in between the north and southbound sides.My RX65 will be here tommorrow between 5 and 6 so after tommorrow i'll be doing some real performance reporting 8)

Professional

I have my unit mounted high (behing the RVM) and I get speed sign warnings about 1500 metres around a bend and hill.

I use the X50 and STI. The RX-65 should perform equal if not a little less detection on K

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mrcllusb
    I'm upstate ny on Fort Drum,and recently i had to travel down 81 to Syracuse and to Rochester,and both times the state troopers where parked back into the woods instead of their normal spots in between the north and southbound sides.My RX65 will be here tommorrow between 5 and 6 so after tommorrow i'll be doing some real performance reporting 8)
    Driving a lot in the States, and obviously western/upstate NY is the main gate into Eastern US, ALL electronic construction signs are on K only, even those on stand-by give you a K alert, but you gotta concentrate on the Troopers only, they ALL (at least from my own real-life experience) are on Ka ONLY... very rare you get a false Ka... happy and safe driving :wink:

Oh, btw, around Buffalo Airport you'll get a LASER alert, on and off and on again, I recall the same stuff around Cincinnati Airport and maybe some other local airports but never around Toronto International Airport or JFK in NYC :roll:

Professional

I get the same laser alerts around New Orleans Intl. Airport. Sucks cause all the way down the road to the terminal it's 100% laser alert. Think it's something to do with either the control tower or the ILS system.