Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default STi Let Me Down Today

Today was a busy LEO day in Toronto with 5 encounters.

1) X-Band is alive. Lots of warning as the LEO was travelling northbound on 400 near Canal Rd. this morning. I was surprised to see X-band so I assume it was a rural OPP going home.

2) Lidar. Warning came too late but didn't stop me along Dundas west of Jane later that morning. As I passed, I could read Marksman.

3) Lidar Ticket!!!!!! About 1 km west of there, a second trap. STi GAVE NO WARNING! I was confused because the officer directed me off the road, yet I received no alert. Fortunately, I was not going too fast. The conditions made me realize how vulnerable we really are and the false sense of security. The lidar was pointed at the crest of a blind hill with a range of less than 200 ft. Lesson to all: the dispersion of laser is so small that STi did not see it even when the gun is right in front of you.

4) Lidar later that afternoon along Keele north of Dundas. No warning, it was facing the other way. Originally, I thought it was radar but saw it mounted on the tripod. But wait...Ka signal (strength 1) was what made me look for him.

5) Ka burst 30 seconds later. Undercover car was right on my tail. He pulled over the one in front of me instead. Whew! So the STi saved me.

What a day.

Good Citizen

Incidentally, I do have Veil applied and they did read my spead accurately. Unfortunately, they were set up at a range less than 200 ft to pick off people. Veil can do nothing at that range.

at 200ft the laser beam is like 7.5 inches wide when it hits your car.

Professional

Like everyone says, a good radar detector will not save you from lidar.

We all need jammers, especially in Toronto.

I am a little surprised about the X band. Are you sure it is not another car or 18 wheeler transmitting?

Sucks about the ticket, take it to court and you will probably win.

I take it the officer did not see the detector on your windshield.

Radar Fanatic

wow that is a lot of cops in such a short period of time.

i can drive down into town and back every day of the week for almost a month on end and not see one cop or pick up one radar reading, being out in the middle of no where.

The second I go on the freeway it is another story though.

Professional

I see 1-2 leo's per day running constant Ka well on the streets of Toronto.

It is a huge cash tree for them for a minimum amount of cost. The leo are their to patrol, and if they can make some cash, why not...

Driving to Montreal tomorrow evening, so I'll have some nice reporting to do.

Banned

At such distance only the V1 can pick up laser 100%

Quote Originally Posted by quandary
    Incidentally, I do have Veil applied and they did read my spead accurately. Unfortunately, they were set up at a range less than 200 ft to pick off people. Veil can do nothing at that range.

Good Citizen

I pulled the detector off the dash and she did not notice. I asked her to save me a trip by writing the ticket down to 14 over, instead of 20 over. She said she'd rather see me waste the time driving to the prosecutor's office. (The prosecutor will write it down anyways.)

As for the X, I saw the marked cruiser but couldn't make out the town. It's probably from up North somewhere.

Professional

even with a v1 at such short range it will only serve as a ticket notifier, and if you're using a jammer he might get instant punchtrough at 40 feet or so(i saw this happened even with an AL!) short range targeting sucks :x

Professional

What a ***** for making you waste your time at the prosecuters office and tax payers dollars.