Default How many 1yr+ RX65's haven't had a service error?

I just got my service required error and was searching through the posts. It seems alot of these get the service required error(coincedence?). It was over a year ago since I got it so I know I'm out the $85 fix it fee that they build into these. I am hesitant on sending it in as it seems I will most likely see this error and fee again (based on posts) and maybe better off getting out of this questionable brand now and goping with a V1. I've seen posts that ebay listed ones are refurbs or lower quality. I have yet to see a refurb not say refurbished, even then I doubt if it is true. If there is or was an issue with any of there products they shouldn't sell to any vender as it is still Beltronics reputation. Sorry for the first post rant. Just after reading all the other identical problems others have had too I feel like I bought Yugo. So, has anyone had there's for 2 years without problems? How about a year? Should I get out now?

Speed Demon

I have had my RX65 for 2 1/4 years. It got the Service Required message about a year ago. I sent it in to get repaired after that i have had no issues with it. I saw improvements after sending it in for repair too. New Firmware was one of them.

Lead Foot

like people were saying, these are sensitive devices that go out of tune. I don't know what the lifespan of a detector should be, but after a long time of ownership i wouldn't bee too mad about a service required message. I had a 8500 for a long time and then it started self calibrating everyday. Now i have a rx65 from ebay and it works great. It looked new, and I have had no problems with it for the past 3 months. I'm not a person that worries about product support after purchase so the cheaper price made me bite the bullet. This may be the way to go for you instead of trying to get yours fixed.

Speed Demon

I have owned my RX65 for 1 year and 4 months now without a self cal or a service required message to date (knock on wood). I pretty much baby the thing such as not starting the car with it plugged in and keeping it out of the sun. I really think that one of the biggest problems with the 65 is power issues (starting car with it plugged in) and heat. Bel seems to disagree about the power issue but all I can go on is personal experience and posts from other users. You should have purchased the extended two year warranty for $29.99 for it is worth it considering such an expensive and delicate device.

Speed Demon

Yes the extended two year warranty was a must. I am glad I got it. It saved me some cash in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by polakatl
    like people were saying, these are sensitive devices that go out of tune. I don't know what the lifespan of a detector should be, but after a long time of ownership i wouldn't bee too mad about a service required message.

How sensitive? I have other sensitive electronic item that have been trouble free. I think the "out of tune" is excepted by alot of people but isn't really the case. I know once a cb antenna or other is "tuned" they are good. The electronics shouldn't need adjustment just as any efi cars ecu doesn't pop up an service error and need to be adjusted. I could except 5 or 6 years but some people have it after a few months, warranty or not I can't believe the number of these high end rd's that have they same exact "problem". If this happened with big screen tv's or similar items it wouldn't be accepted or tolerated. You expect a decent service life out of a product. If I would have known of there problems I wouldn't have got the extended warrranty, I would of got a v1. I know alot of people defend there unit as if they work for the company, but come on.

Speed Demon

I know once a cb antenna or other is "tuned" they are good.
    Check your SWR after a rain or during then tell me that. This is one reason why ham operators built the auto SWR tuner for HF rigs. They went out of tune normally after awhile.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    like people were saying, these are sensitive devices that go out of tune. I don't know what the lifespan of a detector should be, but after a long time of ownership i wouldn't bee too mad about a service required message.

How sensitive? I have other sensitive electronic item that have been trouble free. I think the "out of tune" is excepted by alot of people but isn't really the case. I know once a cb antenna or other is "tuned" they are good. The electronics shouldn't need adjustment just as any efi cars ecu doesn't pop up an service error and need to be adjusted. I could except 5 or 6 years but some people have it after a few months, warranty or not I can't believe the number of these high end rd's that have they same exact "problem". If this happened with big screen tv's or similar items it wouldn't be accepted or tolerated. You expect a decent service life out of a product. If I would have known of there problems I wouldn't have got the extended warrranty, I would of got a v1. I know alot of people defend there unit as if they work for the company, but come on.
    Well, I don't work for Belscort but considering the price tag of the higher end Belscorts it was just a no brainer for me. $29.99 for an extra 2 years is not a bad deal. I do agree that Belscort does need to work on their quality control, but it is a piece of electronic equipment that you use everyday so therefore an inexpensive warranty should be taken advantage of.

like people were saying, these are sensitive devices that go out of tune. I don't know what the lifespan of a detector should be, but after a long time of ownership i wouldn't bee too mad about a service required message. I had a 8500 for a long time and then it started self calibrating everyday. Now i have a rx65 from ebay and it works great. It looked new, and I have had no problems with it for the past 3 months. I'm not a person that worries about product support after purchase so the cheaper price made me bite the bullet. This may be the way to go for you instead of trying to get yours fixed.
    I've had my RX65 since Sept. 2005 and have yet to have a problem with it. No service required message.

These are NOT "sensitive devices that go out of tune." I will tell you something. As an electrical engineer, I *KNOW* that "going out of tune" is a problem in the design.

How often do you see an LNA/LNB fizzle out? The radio portion of a cellular phone? This is a bogus issue. If such a problem ever comes about, it should be repaired at no cost.