Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alternative power cord for Bel RX or Vector?

I have a problem - the cig lighter plug on standard power cord that came with Bel RX is too tall. I have Mazda6 and it's power socket is located near ashtray . When I insert power cord the door over ashtray can't be closed. That's ugly and alows smell!

My previous old Bel 950 (it died) had a nifty small cig plug which would fit nicely under closed door. Unfortunately I can't use this coord since on RX Bel uses telephone jack for radar connection.

So what's my alternatives?

1. I never saw V1 cord that also has phone jack. Is it's cig plug smaller and can it be used with Bel?

2. Are there any 3rd party replacement cords (all Bel cords now use same tall plug)?

3. Do you think it's feasible to wire cig plug from old Bel cord to the new one?

4. Anything else?

Thanks!

Advanced Member

you can hardwire it :?

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

The two options that you have would be to direct wire the detector, or try a standard cord instead of the included "smartcord". Look at this link, there is a cord that will fit your detector but does not have the mute control and lights.

http://www.radarbusters.com/products...rt/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    The two options that you have would be to direct wire the detector, or try a standard cord instead of the included "smartcord".
    My problem is even with Bel "plain" lighter cord. It's lighter plug is too high not speaking of "smartcord". Lighter cord from old Bel 950 fits nicely but it uses non-phone style connector.

I was thinking about splicing the wires and trying to replace with old lighter plug. It's just a hollow fuse holder so it shouldn't be a problem, what ya all think?

Radar Fanatic

I would just install the direct wire adapter and bypass the cig. lighter plug issue entirely. On top of that you'll have the cleanest install possible since there won't be a coiled cord dangling in your windshield anymore.

Good Citizen

Get a dual 12v socket or an extender and plug that bad boy in. Run that wire any where you can to hide it and place the unit under your seat. Get 15 feet of phone wire and get a coupler. Run the phone wire inbetween the windsheild and the dash and run it all the way to the door. Do what you like with the wire now but be sure that it doesnt and cant interfere when you are driving (you dont want cords hanging down at your feet when you are driving so use eletrical tape if nessasary). Plug the phone wire and the power cord into the coupler and hide it under your seat. Thats how I did it and now wires are visable.

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I would just install the direct wire adapter and bypass the cig. lighter plug issue entirely. On top of that you'll have the cleanest install possible since there won't be a coiled cord dangling in your windshield anymore.
    I guess direct wiring is a way to go but I have no idea how it's done. Any pointers?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by klopus
    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I guess direct wiring is a way to go but I have no idea how it's done. Any pointers?
    Well, if you want the smartcord controls even with the direct wire, Roy sells a direct-wire smartcord. Otherwise, you can use plain old phone wire. If you look at the wires as they are in the phone connector of the smartplug, red is +12v, green is ground. Try to tie it in to something that's on only when the car is running.

Thanks a lot for advise!

Well, if you want the smartcord controls even with the direct wire, Roy sells a direct-wire smartcord.
    I'm not interested in smartcord controls.

Otherwise, you can use plain old phone wire. If you look at the wires as they are in the phone connector of the smartplug, red is +12v, green is ground. Try to tie it in to something that's on only when the car is running.
    Please bear with me so I undrestand. So I get the phone wire. Plug RJ-11 jack on one end into the Bel. Then cut off the other RJ-11 and splice the wires. So red is +12V and green is ground. But to what inside car I attach them? Should I ran the wire under dashboard?

Lead Foot

You could also just wire-up a second cigarette lighter outlet in the location of your choice. If you use the 4-wire telephone line method be very careful to hook every thing up right. If you look in your car's fusebox, there should be at least one empty spot labelled accessory which gets power only with the ignition turned on. This is where I have my second cigarette lighter outlet and Blinder getting their power from. If you have never done any work like this before get some help or have someone else do it.