Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default What makes the STI Stleath?

Has any one removed the case and checked if the sti was still stealth?
    I was thinking a more hidden/perminant install would be nice...

I talked with a guy who said the sti is unreliable because "its pulsed and thats why its stealth" and because its pulsed when you are going through a hilly area its alot harder to get a warning.

I told the guy that sounds redickulus and that he should not listen to his friends.
    I said its just as good as the x50 and the x65 except its stleath.

Good Citizen

The stealthness is as a result of careful egnineering to control the frequency leakage of previous/conventional RD which the RDD picks up.

This "guy" you were talking to falls into the group of "the less they know, the more they think they know".

Radar Fanatic

"New Total Shield ™ RF technology provides zero leakage for the ultimate in undetectability to the VG2, VG4 and the Spectre I, II and III radar detector detectors."

and its magnesium case help is be leak-free, right?

Good Citizen

A metal case to act as a Faraday cage will be necessary to attanuate any stray leakage from the internal board, so yes the magnesim case is part of the total solution, but any metal case would have been equally effective, magnesim alloy makes the case a couple of grams lighter, and is probably nothing more than a bit of marketing hype.

BTW, as noted elsewhere on this forum, the STI is not "zero leakage".......

Yoda of Radar

Metal case doesn't do a whole lot since it is open on both sides.

The dual antenna horn design is your main thing. The design of them seems to be to act as an RF filter in the region of each local oscillator preventing it from escaping.

Professional

preventing it from escaping.
    From Alcartraz

I passed few times close to O pp and escaped from their rdd :wink:

Power User

Its cause it is black

Advanced Member

The steathiness is a combimation of factors.

But one BIG contributor is the LNA's (Low Noise Amplifiers) in the front end. These provide good reverse isolation, letting radar in, but preventing anything from leaking out. Before the STi's release, the only detector that used these LNA's was the V1, which explains why the V1 did magnitudes better than all other detectors against the Spectre (before the STi, of course).

Lead Foot

I've noticed the STi seems to be the victim of a lot of ridiculous stories. I guess because it is basically top-dog among RDs there are jealous people trying to put them down, especially those selling lesser radar detectors. I think that happened a lot with the V1 for years too.

It is clear if you talk to anyone here who own one that the STi is simply the best you can buy, all things considered, including hills.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roadghost
    I've noticed the STi seems to be the victim of a lot of ridiculous stories. I guess because it is basically top-dog among RDs there are jealous people trying to put them down, especially those selling lesser radar detectors. I think that happened a lot with the V1 for years too.

It is clear if you talk to anyone here who own one that the STi is simply the best you can buy, all things considered, including hills.
    I think we get a lot of people who post on here doubting their detectors because of a one or two experiences where the range seemed very short. But people don't seem to realize that every radar encounter is different, and if the radar isn't pointed right at them, then they just arent going to get miles and miles of range...