Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bel 985 not able to detect POP? But radarbusters says it can

I've heard on these forums about how the Bel 985 can't detect POP and how the whole entire Vector line can't be upgraded to detect POP...

But radarbusters, as well as a bunch of other individual owner reviews, says the 985 can detect POP... what's going on?

http://radarbusters.com/support/speedlabs/radar-pop.asp

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ar/index7.html
    "Fastest Ka-band warning combined with POP mode protection"

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BELVECTOR985
    "the late 2002 production BEL 985 and new PRO RX series can detect the POP mode of MPH BEE 3 police radar system."

Advanced Member

I have a BEL 985 that I bought in 2000. I believe that the tests you are referring to were in 2002. This is a "different" 985. The internals were changed to deal with POP.
    After promptly registering my 985 on line with BEL I have yet to receive any notifications from this company regarding any upgrades since 2000.
    I have contacted BEL on numerous occasions. I can not say this any clearer. BEL are Bold Faced Liars! Their staff answer all inquiries from carefully scripted answer cards.
    Actually it is somewhat amusing when you ask a question they don't have an answer for.
    This compnay tried to tell me that they "may be" able to upgrade to be Spectre invisible, at one point, the reality is they can't. After months of me presurring them they finally admitted that " The 985 I have CANNOT be upgraded to detect POP mode nor can ANY of their Vector units!
    The ONLY way for me to deal with POP was to buy a new detector.
    The fact is that only the new RX65 etc are reprogramable, and I personally doubt this from my experiences with BEL.
    I feel that the V1 is the only truly upgradeable Detector in the North American market at this time.
    Hope this helps.

Administrator

Default 985 POP

During the testing at SML the 985 did infact detect POP.

However, it was not deigned to detect POP, nor was it ever advertised to detect POP
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Ah, thanks for the replies. Is there any way for me to see if my detector was made after 2002 or not? I bought it from eBay, so my warranty is effectively gone because Bel only honors warranties from authorized dealers.

If my detector IS made after 2002, does that mean that I'm home free, that I don't need to upgrade to a new RD with POP detection?

Administrator

Default 2002

Other then calling Bel and giving them the serial number, I don't know of any other way to id the manufacture date
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    The 985 I have CANNOT be upgraded to detect POP mode nor can ANY of their Vector units!
    The fact is that only the new RX65 etc are reprogramable, and I personally doubt this from my experiences with BEL.
    You might want to edit that staement, cause now currently I own a BEL Vector 995 And it detects POP.....Also the BEL 965 and 955 vectors are designed to detect POP

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    The 985 I have CANNOT be upgraded to detect POP mode nor can ANY of their Vector units!
    You might want to edit that staement, cause now currently I own a BEL Vector 995 And it detects POP.....Also the BEL 965 and 955 vectors are designed to detect POP
    I stand by my comments. Please read my entire post.
    Your 995 I suspect was bought recently it has been modified internally
    ( Hardware ) to detect POP. The Vector 985 I have cannot be upgraded to detect POP.
    The Vectors you are speaking of are different to the ones I am speaking of. I got this information directly from BEL.

Also, FYI, as you may be moving up here to the Great White North don't even think about using that 995 up here lots of Spectres ,
    also why not e mail Roy Zegers in Australia and ask him about BEL's engineering practices.....you may be very surprised.... :wink:

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    I stand by my comments. Please read my entire post.
    Your 995 I suspect was bought recently it has been modified internally
    ( Hardware ) to detect POP. The Vector 985 I have cannot be upgraded to detect POP.
    The Vectors you are speaking of are different to the ones I am speaking of. I got this information directly from BEL.

Also, FYI, as you may be moving up here to the Great White North don't even think about using that 995 up here lots of Spectres ,
    also why not e mail Roy Zegers in Australia and ask him about BEL's engineering practices.....you may be very surprised.... :wink:
    "to detect POP mode nor can ANY of their Vector units!"
    proof of BEL Vector 965 & 955 designed to detect and alert to POP Those are new Vector units...maybe you should eidit to say old Vector units. PLus if i move to canada i will not use my detector the 2 months i would be there not in college

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

It is hard to say exactly how SML got the results they did in 2003.

For K-band they used a Z-25 pop gun, and the MPH Z-series guns supposably have a 16ms pop burst instead of a 67 ms pop burst, and would be very difficult to detect. This has been shown in JTW's videos: the V1, RX-65, and X50, all of which were manufactured to detect POP, failed to detect pop against the Z-35 at all. So, how did SML get these results in '03?

I would be willing to bet that maybe the gun wasn't actually in POP mode, which is exactly the same situation as the first time JTW did his tests for those who remember. Without actually putting the gun into pop mode, it is basically has the effect of a "quick trigger", which the detectors did alert to in JTW's tests. It is possible that the officers at SML, who "operated the guns as they do each day", didn't know the proper procedure for putting the unit into POP mode.

As far as the detectors that alerted to the BEE III 67ms POP, IMHO the results are a little more plausible. Most pre-pop detectors had a sweep rate around 300ms, meaning that they would have maybe a 1 in 4 chance of detecting the 67ms POP burst, IF the pop burst happened to occur at the same time the detector was sweeping the BEE III's 33.8 GHz freq. Each detector was given two tries. The results are loosely consistent with this, but I am only speculating...

A lot of the pre-pop detectors would not report signals of very short duration. Before POP came along, these short signals were mostly only leakage from other detectors.

IMHO, If you are really worried about POP protection, you should get a detector that was actually designed to detect POP, and has been tested and proven to do so consistently.

Just my 2 cents...

Jim

Advanced Member

Rob, I'm not trying to piss you off.
    The Vector series can not be "Upgraded" or "Reprogrammed"
    to detect POP.
    It is a hardware change BEL made.
    The new "Vector" series are different detectors only the name is the same and they do not make a 985 anymore.
    So if one has an older Vector like I do,
    IT CAN NOT BE UPGRADED TO TO DETECT POP.
    I would have to buy a NEW Vector which can detect POP.
    I'm not "bashing" BEL, they used to be a Canadian Company and I was always very loyal to them, but they have been a BIG disappointment Customer Service wise for me.
    Sadly their Customer Service was Excellent back when they were on Dunwin Dr. in Mississauga Ontario.