Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default 940: POPped in SoCal?!

My 940 cried "POP!" for the first time tonight, and I did not know it was even in use in my area. I have been using City-lowX, SWS on, and now POP on as settings.

Can anyone confirm/deny POP use in SoCal (Orange Co., Riverside Co., San Bernardino Co. -- the alert occured at the line between OC and RC). No apparent source ever sighted. Could it be I detected somebody's Cobra RD or what?

Radar Fanatic

Most likely a cobra or something. My brothers cobra goes off 3 or 4 times screaming POP and I finally convinced him just to turn the damn pop off. If you couldn't confirm it, chances are it is just a false of a sort.

Newcomer

Do you know of any areas in CA where POP is actually used? Does anyone? If not, I will just turn it off after all. It's not like I've been missing it or anything. I just don't know if POP is in play down here. Anybody?

Professional

As far as I know there is no POP in CA. I live in southern cali and have yet to hear anything about it. According to Jimbonzzz turning POP OFF will actually help you if not used in your area. Having it on if not used can hurt you.

Ace

Newcomer

OK, bye bye POP then. I'll turn it off today. Never really missed it I guess. Thanks!

Professional

Your quite welcome

Ace

Old Timer

Default if

If no pop in your area, then turn it off. But when you travel to unknown areas, pop should be turned on.

Experienced

Ya, I have the new v940 and when I had pop on it always went off. It was because of the other Rd. FYI, I spoke to a CHP last Friday and he showed me his Laser gun. So Laser is out down here in Sacramento. I asked if they were going to get rid of Ka and he said no. I will be moving to Charlotte NC. Does anyone know what they use in Charlotte. I will be driving there when I move so I will have my RD with me.

Speed Demon

I have slightly different experience with my 995 with POP on. I don't really need it, but I just wanted to check out what the falsing would be like. I ran it in Autoscan mode for about a week, now it's in City, next it will be Highway. Falsing hasn't been any worse for me, I haven't verified range.

Before I purchased my 995, one couldn't really tell what the performance difference was between the 940/955/995 except slighly more falsing. Looks like it's a different story with POP on (default is OFF).

Regarding driving to Charlotte, check out the Speed Trap section for the states you'll be passing thru. Instead of hijacking this thread, start a new one so that others can chime in instead of accidentally discovering your question here. Also, there are several NC based RD.netters and they'll be able to guide you.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by niran916
    Ya, I have the new v940 and when I had pop on it always went off. It was because of the other Rd. FYI, I spoke to a CHP last Friday and he showed me his Laser gun. So Laser is out down here in Sacramento. I asked if they were going to get rid of Ka and he said no. I will be moving to Charlotte NC. Does anyone know what they use in Charlotte. I will be driving there when I move so I will have my RD with me.
    I lived in Charlotte for 5 years before moving about 1 1/2 hours north a couple years ago. I still travel through there and the city of Charlotte uses K and KA a lot with red light cameras becoming more popular. The NC State Patrol started testing Laser about a year ago in the Charlotte area although I have not personally seen it. I have a friend who is a Lt. for the state patrol and he confirmed that laser was being used there and if successful would become more prevalent throughout NC very soon. They still use VASCAR and also between Greensboro and Charlotte they have some unmarked cars that still have x band in use. In other words they are using everything they can. When they started phasing out the x band a few years ago and bought KA for the state patrol they really stepped up their ticket writing. It used to be when you got to NC you didn't have to worry to much about a ticket, but it has definitely changed in the last 2-3 years. Hope this helps.

PS When you get to NC take a concealed carry class and buy yourself a handgun. Congratulations on your escape from Cali.

Sorry LOPSL about the hijacking so to get back on topic I have not seen any POP in NC. ops: ops:

Glockman30