Thread: Bell 966w

Speed Demon

Default Bell 966w

I just picked up a Bel 966w. I found a used one cheap on ebay that looked like it was in really good shape, so I figured why not. I use to own a 966w back in the 90's and loved it! I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the V1 and STi. As I remember it had great X/K range and I really liked the IO alerts. Hopefully it is still in tune! heh Do any of you guys test with "high end" RD's from the 90's?

CC

Speed Demon

i too had a 966 - and it worked well for its time. i bought a new 745 sti a while back for 45.00 bucks from a guy just to see how it compared to my x50 and v1. i had it when it was one of the top detectors in the 90's and i can tell you that using it now it does have good detection on all bands as compared to the others. i found a k band sign and tested everything i had against it and the 745 did really well. right in line with the x50 and v1. the only problem was it picked up about 20 times more falses along the way. it was so bad that i had to take it down while driving because it never stopped falsing. it was extremely quiet out on a lonely road but in town it was non stop. i just got back into using a RD last year and was totally amazed at the progress that had been made with the new units.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDawg19
    i too had a 966 - and it worked well for its time. i bought a new 745 sti a while back for 45.00 bucks from a guy just to see how it compared to my x50 and v1. i had it when it was one of the top detectors in the 90's and i can tell you that using it now it does have good detection on all bands as compared to the others. i found a k band sign and tested everything i had against it and the 745 did really well. right in line with the x50 and v1. the only problem was it picked up about 20 times more falses along the way. it was so bad that i had to take it down while driving because it never stopped falsing. it was extremely quiet out on a lonely road but in town it was non stop. i just got back into using a RD last year and was totally amazed at the progress that had been made with the new units.

Wasn't the 745 sti one of the early laser detectors? And maybe it added stealth from RDD's? My friend had the 745 sti and it was a real good RD. Back in the day in my area it was only X/K that I had to worry about and the 966 owned them! Was the 966w part of the Vector line?

Speed Demon

I got the 966w today, but sadly it wouldn't power on. I bought it used off ebay. The seller was really cool and gave me a full refund, so it is nice to know there are some honest ebayers out there. The RD is like 15 years old, so I wasn't expecting much anyway. I wonder if Bel would fix something this old?