So i took my sti out for a 500+ mile drive for most of last night and finally reached at 5am thru NY, NJ and PA.
anyway, what i noticed was (my sti is in auto mode and has everything on except SWS) once i hit the highways for maybe 1-2 hours, it started detecting Ka at insane ranges (1.2 miles was the longest)..normally it detects Ka at maybe 0.6 miles....the range for K and X also seemed to be increased. I saw a trooper halfway up on a hill(!) pointed away from my car probably 0.8 miles away and it still picked up K from the trooper. when i entered NYC it stopped detecting the usual K falses and X falses after maybe 15 mins of driving thru brooklyn and only picked up one K (NYC patrol car). range seemed to also have dropped considerably...normally its what i would consider half of the max now it seemed to be very short.
1. does the sti automatically switch sensitivity after a time limit based on the number of signals recieved ? or is there something else going on ? and does it have 3 modes -- city/hwy/mixed when in auto mode ?
2. do any of you keep the sti on auto or highway/city or just switch depending on where you are ?
3. are the signals a problem in the city on highway mode ? (i.e. if it kept the sensitivity i saw on the highway it would be impossible to drive in any city)...at that sort of range it was detecting K motion detectors from highway rest stop door openers 3 lanes away and half a mile off the highway off axis.
4. i noticed instant on Ka in PA ..the sti chirped once, i let my foot off the gas and eventually after 5 seconds it chirped full blast for a bit. did the first chirp indicate a POP, speed reading or a reflection off a rabbit or the gun warming up ? Ka seems to be very narrowly targeted from the median where the trooper was hiding so is there any reason for them to shoot the car twice ? this took place twice with the same result both times.
5. i saw a (most definitely) non police car (a subaru station wagon) letting off Ka (picked up at over a mile from the rear). he nearly gave me a heart attack. is this caused by some sort of radar assist device ?
BTW, anyone notice you can pump gas with your credit card even tho the gas station is closed ? saved me last night when i almost ran outta gas.