Lead Foot

Default More sensitivity on the STI and new update

The new update isnt an update ... its to address a part change on the STI due to manufacturing change of the photocell i.e. its worthless.

BTW, when i switched SWS on (i have all on now) i get 10% improved range on X, 10-15% on K and i have not tested it on Ka.
    Can anyone else try it with an STI (a4m9) ?

Advanced Member

Thx for the update on the ummm.... update Roy was hinting at that in another thread.

As for your SWS observations interesting but I'm inclined to think other factors are at work but I'm game to test it on my A2.

Good Citizen

My STi dims great and goes full bright when it is needed.

Rich Dunklee
    NR2D

Good Citizen

Default Re: More sensitivity on the STI and new update

Quote Originally Posted by Zurk
    BTW, when i switched SWS on (i have all on now) i get 10% improved range on X, 10-15% on K and i have not tested it on Ka.
    I'll give it a try.

FWIW. something that makes no sense based on what I've been reading here, but I swear I got improved range when I turned POP on. :?

I'll turn SWS on and see what happens... hopefully the deer around here aren't equipped with safety warning devices in addition to the X-band radar they cart around the woods with them :P

Good Citizen

I was surprised to see your results as I had always been of the mindset that having the RD spend any extra time scanning outside of the usual police radar bands used in the USA like SWS, and Ku would only degrade sensitivity or response time to a real threat. So I gave it a test on my STi A4M9. My results were different from yours, with no difference to either sensitivity or response time (instant-on quick trigger) being noted with SWS either on or off, on both K and Ka band, in either Highway or Automatic sensitivity modes. (I did not test X-Band)

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by takk

FWIW. something that makes no sense based on what I've been reading here, but I swear I got improved range when I turned POP on. :?
    hmm...dont know about POP since i always had it on. just tested range on Ka with a live police cruiser.....no change. after driving around with SWS for a day i'd say -
    X - definite 10% improvement in range (no change in response time)
    K - definite 8-12% improvement in range.
    Ka - no change.
    anyway, im keeping all on and sticking with it in auto mode rather than highway. its way too sensitive in highway mode anyway. i dont understand how SWS would affect it, but theres no denying the results.

below_the_radar: did you have POP enabled ? can you try a repeat with all on ?

i was just wondering but how can you or are you notified when theres an update for a RD. I'm specifically talking for a STi if another one comes out.

Good Citizen

below_the_radar: did you have POP enabled ? can you try a repeat with all on ?
    Zurk, I repeated the tests with POP on, and the sensitivity was the same regardless of whether SWS was on or off with K and Ka. The one thing I have always noticed with POP on with the STi however, is response time increases an additional 300~500MS to instant-on quick trigger Ka. (just my human approximation, not based on a lab setup) That and falses is why I turn POP off, since it is not used around here. Keep in mind that an additional 300~500MS is not much as far as your time to react goes, but it could make a difference as to whether your detector alerts at all to short bursts of quick-trigger instant on radar.