Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default RX65 KA BAND SELECTION

Dear alls,

Please advise on KA band selection and is there any difference in settings of USA & Int'l. When select to either one does it affect or improve on sensitivity and selectivity.
    Any valuable advice is very much appreciated.

Derence
    Bel RX65

Manufacturer

Default According to Craig Peterson...

I recently met up with Craig Peterson on my recent trip to the west when we were conducting our radar detector comparison tests and he specifically recommended that the Rx65 Pro be set to Ka USA.

It appeared to work flawlessly [on Ka] on our 1500+ mile trip throughout NV and AZ.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Default int. and usa diff.

I too am curious, as I have seen it posted somewhere that it should be on int. because there is on gun that is commonly used that is outside of the usa settings range.

Administrator

Default Use International

When you set the Ka to USA, you will be activating "AccuSweep" and detecting only the four Ka frequencies :

There are three Ka frequencies commonly used by police in their radar guns, 33.8 GHz, 34.7 GHz and 35.5 GHz. Some of the Ka band photo radar guns use the additional 34.6 frequency at 5 milliwatts.

Now if you came across an officer that had an out of tune Ka gun and you had your detector on USA, you would be screwed, you would not detect them.

Now the Bel units come with the International mode activated by default.
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Good Citizen

Just to share my encounter experience this morning. Was travelling along Highway to work and my RX65 alerted KA signal strength of 1 to 2 intermittenly and POP alerted next milli secs. So quickly reduce speed to
    within posted speed limit and signal getting stronger between 4 to 5 next moment a Highway Cop drove past from my rear. It give very sufficient time of between 5 to 6 sec to react once alerted. This is a very decent detector, very capable of rear detection and just simply awesome.

PS : Selection on KA band to USA and SWS disabled. Our cops are using MPH Python Series II Gun

Radar Fanatic

I was advised by Bel to not use the USA setting, never know when an officer is going to be using a Stalker frequency hopping radar or be out of calibration.

Experienced

Obviously when set to INTL it takes slightly longer to scan the entire Ka spectrum but how much longer? Would it affect the time of the alert substantially?

Advanced Member

Roy Zegers of ARDS reports that the Bel Rx 65 does very poorly against Ka band.
    So if the Ka you're dealing with is similar to the Ka used in Australia you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
    Zegers complaint is the processor in the Bel is too SLOW.
    www.australianradar.com.au

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    Roy Zegers of ARDS reports that the Bel Rx 65 does very poorly against Ka band.
    So if the Ka you're dealing with is similar to the Ka used in Australia you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
    Zegers complaint is the processor in the Bel is too SLOW.
    www.australianradar.com.au
    Too answer your question, visit http://www.speedzones.com/immediacy.html as you can see, many of Bels models are in position #1, #2, #4, meaning they react very quickly to the tested, all in less than a second.

Just a few minutes ago I found myself with an LEO using Ka, I changed my Bel from INTL to USA and it still detected him, so I'm assuming his gun was calibrated, but I didn't have a chance to put it in TEC mode (which displays the actual freq of the alert, to verify one of the frequencies the BEL does scan)

Advanced Member

The USA vs International settings on the RX-65 are not about reaction time, but about sensitivity.

Most detectors nowdays sweep all bands within a few hundred milliseconds or less. The "delays" that you see in reporting radar, for example in SML's "Immediacy of Response" test, are not due to a slow sweep rate. These "delays" are actually built into the software on purpose, in order to reduce falsing. This method is widely used and different manufacturers use different schemes here, but for example they might not report a signal unless it is longer than 500ms in duration.

In a scanning receiver, the sensitivity is related to how long the signal is examined. In USA mode, the RX-65 only has to scan the 3 main frequencies used in the USA, instead of the whole 2.6 GHz wide Ka band. This allows the detector to examine them for a longer duration, thus increasing sensitivity (without also reducing response time).

This same idea has been well known in European BEL units, these have "Narrow" modes that only scan the frequencies of interest in order to get better sensitity for detecting weak photo radar. If they set their detectors to "wide" instead of "narrow", the detection range against photo radar is crappy. Maybe some users of these units could chime in...

As far as not being able to detect an out of tune radar unit if set to USA mode, I don't think that would be much of an issue. I am sure that BEL was smart enough to implement a suitable "guardband" around these frequencies, so the guns can be out of tune some and still be detected.

As far as the Stalker that frequency hops, I doubt if they're really out there. You see it referenced at copradar.com and a few other places but that's it. I believe what happened was that when the Stalkers were released in the early 90's, they had to get FCC approval for the new Ka frequency. They got approval for 34.2-35.2, and at this same time I guess there was word that they were working on a frequency hopping unit that could utilize the whole range. I have never seen any hard evidence that that gun ever saw the light of day. Plus, it wouldn't be a good anti-detection feature either since the detectors can scan this whole band. But another term for frequency hopping here is "Spread Spectrum", where the frequency would actually hop hundreds of times a second or more, this would be so fast that the detectors couldn't even pick the signal out of the background noise. We better hope and pray that a Spread Spectrum gun hasn't been in the works since the early 90's, if one of those comes out we'll all be screwed.

Anyway, I recommend that for maximum sensitivity on the RX-65 in the USA, use the USA setting.

Jim