Newcomer

Default Moving-radar from behind testing?

It's my impression that many, most, or all of these various radar detector tests do not perform rear-sensitivity or distance tests where a LEO is driving up from behind you with moving radar and your detector is facing ahead of you. The Valentine is (I think) good for this because it has a rear-facing antenna horn, but maybe it's the only one that does (?).

I'd love to see some testing like this, and even more:

I usually keep my RD down on the center console instead of up on the dash or the windshield (naturally this is done because I don't want it to be seen and it's easier to turn off if I see a LEO). I'd like to know what effect that position has on being detected by spectre, as well as IF I had an STI sitting in that position how would it affect it's ability to detect LEO from behind?

In general how good is spectre at detecting RD's if LEO is behind you vs in front of you (ie facing you) ?

Good Citizen

Partly depends on what detector you are using. Worst case he will have you at about 2000 feet.

Advanced Member

The older V1 is easier to detect from the rear 300 to 400 feet vs 170 feet front. The new V1s are much easier to detect and dont really have any advantage over cheaper rds.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    The older V1 is easier to detect from the rear 300 to 400 feet vs 170 feet front. The new V1s are much easier to detect and dont really have any advantage over cheaper rds.
    All that thinks to the new "digital temperature compensation!"

If you drive in Ontario, STi is the only answer now. Period.

To answer the original question, detection range will be reduced significantly if you set it on the seat or console. STi is undetectable anyway, so you might as well put it on the visor but still be inconspicuous as possible.

STi will be able to detect radar coming up from behind, as long is there is something in front of you to to reflect back into your antenna. The range won't be as long as the V1, but you won't have OPP pulling you over demanding your RD!

GTO_04

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    All that thanks to the new "digital temperature compensation!"

If you drive in Ontario, STi is the only answer now. Period.

To answer the original question, detection range will be reduced significantly if you set it on the seat or console. STi is undetectable anyway, so you might as well put it on the visor but still be inconspicuous as possible.

STi will be able to detect radar coming up from behind, as long is there is something in front of you to to reflect back into your antenna. The range won't be as long as the V1, but you won't have OPP pulling you over demanding your RD!

GTO_04

Lead Foot

Excluding the V1 all RD's rely on terrain to bounce back the signals when there is a signal from the rear. A test wouldn't mean much because it would be terrain/traffic dependent. If you had a SEMI in front of you then rear detection would be great. The V1 on the other hand has an antenna facing rearward so it is great at picking up these threats.

Since you run your RD on the center console which I'm assuming is at elbow height you really don't need to be concerned about detecting radar at all. You can put it in a glove box for a more stealthy appearance. Maybe i misunderstood your post. it seems like you have the radar detector on the console where it can't even "see" out in front.

A detector has to "see" in front of it so you need to mount it on the windshield.

Newcomer

Putting a RD on the center console is really not that bad for detection. The windshield is a large, open aperture and there is plenty of signal that can reach the detector. I know because of the alerts my RD has given me in that position.

Regarding rear-detection capability, I still think that it's a more useful test vs the stupid lidar tests that the various groups do. Radar signals can bounce back to your detector from inside your car, not just from stuff outside your car.

I know that there is SOME rear-detection capability with most detectors, and knowing which detector has the best rear-detection range can make the difference in which one to buy. Would be good to know if the STI has decent rear-detection capability.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Man
    Putting a RD on the center console is really not that bad for detection. The windshield is a large, open aperture and there is plenty of signal that can reach the detector. I know because of the alerts my RD has given me in that position.

Regarding rear-detection capability, I still think that it's a more useful test vs the stupid lidar tests that the various groups do. Radar signals can bounce back to your detector from inside your car, not just from stuff outside your car.

I know that there is SOME rear-detection capability with most detectors, and knowing which detector has the best rear-detection range can make the difference in which one to buy. Would be good to know if the STI has decent rear-detection capability.
    There is ONLY one detector that is capable of REAR detection, that is the V1. As has been stated the other detectors merely pick up reflected energy. To attempt to test that is ludicrous, however you can apply common sense, in that a more sensitive detector will pick up reflected energy better than a less sensitive detector. You're still looking at the same group, the big 4 or 5.

Speed Demon

Radar doesn't just bounce off objects it also bends around them... can't remeber what that's called... diffusion?

The STi is fine at picking up threats from the rear I don't feel under any particular threat at all. IO from the front... that's a different story

Professional

I've had my Sti in my glove box and it still alerted to the falses and ka band. K band flases where the same, but Ka is heard to test unless you can do muiltiple runs.

The sti is great for rear detection. It is very sensitive so you have nothing to worry about.

I would worry about the OPP shooting radar in the direction of traffic and hitting you from behind. With K band and a empty highway, you will 3 bars at most and then it will jump to full when to late.