Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bel RX65 influenced by UV-Protected Windshield of the car

I have a Bel RX65 which functioned very well and I have been very happy about. Recently I bought a new car, Renault Laguna 2, French made, which is equipped with UV-Protected Windshield which apparently influences the Radar Detector by reducing its capabilities.

In practice, the difference of performance was not that big, so I thought it is not an issue.

Recently I have been surprised by radar and got a ticket because the detector warned too late.

Now the question is: maybe this happened because of the windshield ? How can I do to avoid this problem ? How should I install the detector ?

Should I consider buying a remote detector to install it on the car ? In this case, what should I choose between Bel 975 LR or Whistler Pro 3450 ?

Please advise.

Yoda of Radar

Depends what radar you got zapped by. The Swiss Multanova in particular is a nasty device to detect. Of course if you have an athermic windshield that cuts back on detection, that is never good

Wouldn't it be IR protected not UV protected? :wink:

You could put the detector outside if you can waterproof it, or maybe smash your windshield and get a new one that is plain glass, or install a remote unit. The 975LR is a better unit, in fact it's one of the best to find the Multanovas. You may also want to mount your detector like | instead of -.

Speed Demon

Laguna has ATERMIC front glass.Older Lagunas was better than newer Lagunas,for dash mount RD.New Laguna has very"powerful"front window.No reception thru the glass!Remote RD is your only option.I think that even AUTOPASS(pre-paid card for highway)doesnt work thru this glass.You have to put it on those black dots behind RVM in order to work.

Experienced

For years GM used the same kind of glass (called PPG sun guard or something to that effect) in it's US model minivans and optional in certain automobile models. Cut down detector range 80%. Also blocks GPS recievers and may cause interference with cell phones. One footnote, I do believe that Chevrolet offered the same windshield in the Corvette BUT they left a small "cutout" in the center of the windshield for radar detectors.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
    For years GM used the same kind of glass (called PPG sun guard or something to that effect) in it's US model minivans and optional in certain automobile models. Cut down detector range 80%. Also blocks GPS recievers and may cause interference with cell phones. One footnote, I do believe that Chevrolet offered the same windshield in the Corvette BUT they left a small "cutout" in the center of the windshield for radar detectors.
    yea my mom's pos asstek has that crap.

i can't even shoot my radar guns through it

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Welcome to the forum!

This is some darned good info since you obviously are "in the know" about this type of window glass.

--Michael
    Thanks for the welcome. I retain a lot of ordinarily useless information like that for some reason.

Yoda of Radar

One footnote, I do believe that Chevrolet offered the same windshield in the Corvette BUT they left a small "cutout" in the center of the windshield for radar detectors.
    Well yeah, if they didn't have that there would be probably be blood spilled in Warren

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    One footnote, I do believe that Chevrolet offered the same windshield in the Corvette BUT they left a small "cutout" in the center of the windshield for radar detectors.
    Well yeah, if they didn't have that there would be probably be blood spilled in Warren
    Then again, I figure many corvette owners would be the kind to invest in a built in detector so it wouldn't matter anyways.

Good Citizen

Default UV windshield

My 2001 Pontiac Aztek has this type fo glass. I have to mount my rd over the rvm to get above it.