Thread: Vector 985

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Vector 985

Well guys I received my 985 today and took it out for a spin. I encountered an IO X band received about a .50 mile warning, received an IO K band in lethal Sheffield Village but distance did not matter since I received it when the cop just turned into my street about .25 mile warning, and finally received a CO 33.8 Ka alert about .75 mile warning. This 985 was impressive! Basically it is an RX65 minus POOP. It has all of the features of the RX65 minus the multiple threat display (1x,1K,1Ka). The person that I bought it from bought it in 2003 and it is in excellent condition. Not bad for $100
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Power User

Has good X and K band detection. Very poor with Ka compared to V1 and X50 and worse with rear detection with Ka band - did not give a beep a couple times with 35.5 at about 50-75 yards.

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    Has good X and K band detection. Very poor with Ka compared to V1 and X50 and worse with rear detection with Ka band - did not give a beep a couple times with 35.5 at about 50-75 yards.
    You have one or had one? It is based on the same platform as the older RX65's

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Power User

Tried a friend's 985 actually while doing the over the hill test with the 9500i,X50 and V1 with 35.5 Ka. It was the worse performer among the rest other than X and K band. This unit still uses the male and female plug and had voice alert. You may need to try it again during future GOL testing. Initial findings really didn't impress me but as you know, each detector even built by the same manufacturer can differ in performance and yours may be a good one.

The worse looking windshield mount bel ever made. I think the design includes the visor clip if i remember it correctly.

Radar Fanatic

The visor/windshield mount may not be the best looking, but it works far better than the newer BEL mounts.

I have a 985, bought new when it first hit the market. It has served me well as a backup to my V1. Not as good as V1 on X band, but very close on K band. On Ka band, the V1 is better on 33.8, but my V1 picks up 33.8 like it does K band LOL! On 34.7 straight ahead signals, it is very close to the V1. With off-axis 34.7, the V1 spanks it bad! I have not had much experience with the 985 on 35.5 GHz, but I suspect it is not as good as the V1, especially the 1.8 version.

I was going to trade the 985 in on a 995, but I tried the 995 for a few weeks and it did not compare to the 985. So I kept the 985. The moral of the story is, if you get a good one, hang onto it!

The 985 is the best BEL I've ever owned.

GTO_04

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    Tried a friend's 985 actually while doing the over the hill test with the 9500i,X50 and V1 with 35.5 Ka. It was the worse performer among the rest other than X and K band. This unit still uses the male and female plug and had voice alert. You may need to try it again during future GOL testing. Initial findings really didn't impress me but as you know, each detector even built by the same manufacturer can differ in performance and yours may be a good one.

The worse looking windshield mount bel ever made. I think the design includes the visor clip if i remember it correctly.
    Correct. Hopefully I have a good one

buyradardetectors rocks!

Power User

Default Re: Vector 985

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    Well guys I received my 985 today and took it out for a spin. I encountered an IO X band received about a .50 mile warning, received an IO K band in lethal Sheffield Village but distance did not matter since I received it when the cop just turned into my street about .25 mile warning, and finally received a CO 33.8 Ka alert about .75 mile warning. This 985 was impressive! Basically it is an RX65 minus POOP. It has all of the features of the RX65 minus the multiple threat display (1x,1K,1Ka). The person that I bought it from bought it in 2003 and it is in excellent condition. Not bad for $100
    I still use my 960, sister unit to 985, a few less functions and it is pretty impressive. I have it over 3 years or maybe 4 now I have lost track.

Good Citizen

I have a 985 and it is a pretty darn good detector. It has performed very well on KA. Comparable to my V1 in the few instances that I have tested them. I have also received several laser alerts on the detector as well.

Good Citizen

Default 985

I have a 985 and mine performs well enough on all bands to slow down in time not to get a ticket. By the way i have one that was pre fcc id era,maybe thats what makes it more sensitive...