Default Since Roy is no longer running the store, should I go to Bel

I have read through the posts that praised how well Roy took care of his customers. Well... he sold the store, so I don't think we will see same service levels.
    My main concern is that STi is not upgradeable like V1.

Did any of you guys get free or low cost upgrades out of Bel when you found out your older version was goofy? Or did you have to trade it in for pennies on the dollar to get new less bug prone version?

Right now the upgradeability is the only reason I am on the fence about the STi.

Lead Foot

Roy is still around. He doesn't officially run the show anymore, but he's around and can help you out if you have problems.

CSR will tell you whatever the heck they want. I am looking for a real life experience. Just because some CSR or sales guy says it is upgradeable just to get you to buy, does not mean that when time comes it will work that way.
    I don't see any policy on their site that would state the upgradeability issue within warranty period.

Lead Foot

I didn't say anything about upgradeability, I only answered your other point. As far as I know you can't get anything for upgrades except maybe the 80 bucks to trade in your old detector.

Radar Fanatic

If there is any real benifit to a different version then Bel will upgrade you. You just have to be smart about it. Don't call up asking for the newest version just say that you detector is permorming aswell as it used to. If you sound like you know what your talking about they will be more likely to help you. Also if you ever do have a problem with your RD you can send it in to Bel and most likely they will fix it and upgrade it for free. In other words get a Bel and get it from Radarbusters.com also get the extra warranty this way you are covered for 3 years. Bottom line is that these "new" versions usauly do nothing. If there is really a benifit then they will install it in your RD for free, but as i said most of these upgrades do nothing. Worst case you can let Bel know you are a member of this site, and that you infuence other people's choice of detectors. If they hear this then they will be more likely to help you out. FYI i have done this a few times and it has always worked.[/i]

If Roy was still an owner of the store, that would be whole 'nother deal. No matter what anyone says, once the company is bought by someone else, company changes. There is very slim track record of easy upgrade with Bel. I did my research. Fortunately there are 15 years of track record with V1.

STi would have been a great choice, but latest and greatest at the lowest cost of attainment is high on my decision matrix.

Cheers!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by groovyipo
    If Roy was still an owner of the store, that would be whole 'nother deal. No matter what anyone says, once the company is bought by someone else, company changes. There is very slim track record of easy upgrade with Bel. I did my research. Fortunately there are 15 years of track record with V1.

STi would have been a great choice, but latest and greatest at the lowest cost of attainment is high on my decision matrix.

Cheers!
    I've got to disagree, i don't think you've had an accurate experience with Bel and there upgrades. There have been very few upgrades Bel made that changed anything that was noticeable to the user. In cases where there was a possitive change like with flasing on the earlier STi RD they did give free upgrades to those earlier defective units. And it didn't cost 80 bucks.

Look, I don't want to start anything here, but I like to see things on paper and see the same in reality. There is a very clear upgrade statement from V1 about their upgrade policy. The costs are also very clear. Policy and experiences are consistent. Bel can't match that yet. I hope they do. Maybe by that time I will decide to splurge on a second one and STi will be all mine.