Radar Fanatic

Default Pop Mode really does limit Range!

So yesterday i turned POP on my detector. I thought it would be pretty silly if i got a ticket just because i didn't program my RD the right way. Any way i did some testing with my RX65 with POP on. Normaly i pass a K Band radar sign about twice a day. The layout of the sign is a sharp 80 degree turn (and a small downward hill) on a road lined with trees and then the radar sign is 1/6 mile down the road (after the turn and small hill). Normaly with Pop OFF i get a warning just before i enter the turn. With Pop ON i don't get a warning until i exit the turn and at that point i can see the radar unit about 1/2 sec before my RD goes off, and then it goes stright to K9 with no ramp up. If this was a real trap and i had POP off i would have been fine but with POP on i would have been toast! For this reason i am again turning POP OFF. I feel that i am more likely to get a ticket for having it on then I am for having it off.

Also the ramp up is awful with POP ON. If you have ramp up problem this might be part of the problem. Anyway just thought i would share this info with you guys.

Professional

stinky "poop", it just stinks everything up right Happy

Lead Foot

Well I guess I'll be the "black sheep" on this one. Great test by the way carter840.

I run mine with POP on. I have had the unit now for a few weeks but I still need more time running the unit with it left On.

Your description on when you received the alert with POP On does concern me carter840. I'll keep this in mind when I become more familiar with my alerted hits.

Power User

Default Re: Pop Mode really does limit Range!

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    So yesterday i turned POP on my detector. I thought it would be pretty silly if i got a ticket just because i didn't program my RD the right way. Any way i did some testing with my RX65 with POP on. Normaly i pass a K Band radar sign about twice a day. The layout of the sign is a sharp 80 degree turn (and a small downward hill) on a road lined with trees and then the radar sign is 1/6 mile down the road (after the turn and small hill). Normaly with Pop OFF i get a warning just before i enter the turn. With Pop ON i don't get a warning until i exit the turn and at that point i can see the radar unit about 1/2 sec before my RD goes off, and then it goes stright to K9 with no ramp up. If this was a real trap and i had POP off i would have been fine but with POP on i would have been toast! For this reason i am again turning POP OFF. I feel that i am more likely to get a ticket for having it on then I am for having it off.

Also the ramp up is awful with POP ON. If you have ramp up problem this might be part of the problem. Anyway just thought i would share this info with you guys.
    If you just made one pass on every test, you can't make a conclcusion based on that because in that scenario, you depend on reflected or bounced signals and every encounter is different. This is the difference when tested out of the lab where you run test in uncontrolled environtment. You may need to do more than just one pass and get the average.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Pop Mode really does limit Range!

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    Quote Originally Posted by carter840

If you just made one pass on every test, you can't make a conclcusion based on that because in that scenario, you depend on reflected or bounced signals and every encounter is different. This is the difference when tested out of the lab where you run test in uncontrolled environtment. You may need to do more than just one pass and get the average.
    This is a good a valid point. I should add that have passed this sign over 100 times with POP OFF and and out 6 times with POP ON. Also i have a bushnell and i also see that it takes much longer for it to register a hit.

Newcomer

I don't know why I thought I read somewhere to keep POP mode disabled because it is more sensitive and is more likely to give more falses. One could only assume that the increased sensitivity would lead to better range. But further research and discussion indicates quite the opposite. It would seem that POP is not such a great thing after all. Glad I can disable it on my RX65.

Newcomer

Hmmmm. The Jan 2006 Guys of Lidar test shows an RX65 in USA with a 34.7 GHz range of 1667 with POP on and 1452 off. And an X50 with 1288 on and 1298 off.

Professional

Im thinking with each differant brand of RD--they have set up how pop does it thing with it off/on.....

One is going to do better, the other will do worse.

Whenever a big GOL test is happening again they need to do some serious testing with detectors with POP on/off with K/KA....

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Holla
    Im thinking with each differant brand of RD--they have set up how pop does it thing with it off/on.....

One is going to do better, the other will do worse.

Whenever a big GOL test is happening again they need to do some serious testing with detectors with POP on/off with K/KA....
    Hmm, I know with Whistler's Pro-73/58/1793SE they lowered K/Ka sensitivity by 1-2dB for POP mode, and you regain that sensitivity when you turn POP off. You don't really notice much range improvement from doing that on K-band ,but some people have reported worthwhile gains in Ka band. OTOH I really didn't notice an increase in falsing with POP either way, except that increased sensitivity picked up Cobras and door openers more often.

On the new Pro-78/XTR-690's, currently sensitivity is the same POP ON and POP OFF, though a near-future update will add the 1-2db sensitivity to POP OFF. VeilGuy notes significant improvements on Ka band with that update.

One reviewer (forgot who) said that falses were more common with POP ON than OFF, even factoring in the FILTER modes.