Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Don't want to beat the 33.8 bug to death, but...

Had a classic 33.8 problem today.

Was driving westbound on a 6-lane highway that is divided by only a concrete median, so the opposing lanes are only 5-6 feet apart. (Gardiner Expressway for those of you familiar with Toronto.)

Sti alerts Ka band, I think wow, its definately 33.8. Problem is the marked cruiser is four (4) car lengths away heading towards me. I'll say it again, FOUR CAR LENGTHS AWAY, LESS THAN 100 FEET, before the Sti alerted. I was in the westbound left-most lane, he was in the eastbound left-most lane, so we were separated by the few feet of the median.

This was in bumper to bumper traffic that was crawling along at less than 15 mph. I know it was constant on, because the Sti kept alerting for a short while after I passed the cop.

BTW, sending the unit back next week to Ohio for a "tune up" because I can't get it fixed at the same damn factory that makes them.

J/

Good Citizen

Jerry,

For the 6 months I had the STI and was unaware of the 33.8 issue...

I never once had a KA hit, until one winter morning when I stared into a Waterloo Regional Police head on and I had one chirp and then nothing...

Once in 6 months...

AM I GLAD THERE IS A FIX FOR MY NEXT 8 MONTHS!!

Good luck with your fix. Let us know if it helps...

Ontario loves 33.8. Especially Toronto Cops

Default Re: Don't want to beat the 33.8 bug to death, but...

Newcomer

I've got a question for those that know alot about 33.8 KA band.

Jerry, I get those hits all the time about 3-5 a week on the gardener usually at the gardner and the dvp.

Now, if the cruiser is going the opposite direction than you, and is firing out of the back which it most likely is (atleast thats what i assume they are doing), i've had relatively the same luck, see the cruiser first, than an alert but as you travel past a very strong alert for quite some time.

so KA being a very directional radar, how do other detectors stack up in this situation?
    (not defending the sti bug, just curious if other detectors would have a better chance at detecting KA that is firing in the completely wrong direction)

Advanced Member

+1 at the DVP/Gardner area... happens once in awhile and my A2 is very false prone... I dont have any problem with Ka coming from other direction

Good Citizen

Any idea for A1M7 firmware revisions?

I'm still sitting on A1M7 because it's been relatively false-free. Haven't encountered an alarming situation as described above on 33.8 -- knock on wood.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmc
    Any idea for A1M7 firmware revisions?

I'm still sitting on A1M7 because it's been relatively false-free. Haven't encountered an alarming situation as described above on 33.8 -- knock on wood.
    You my friend proabably have the most sensitive Ka Sti thats been produced to-date.

I'll bet you havent driven alot on the some of the busy US Interstates...my A2 alarnmed almost every 2 min as I road through Michigan to Chicago.

Frankly if its not falsing I'd keep the A1

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vistate

Jerry, I get those hits all the time about 3-5 a week on the gardener usually at the gardner and the dvp.

Now, if the cruiser is going the opposite direction than you, and is firing out of the back which it most likely is (atleast thats what i assume they are doing), i've had relatively the same luck, see the cruiser first, than an alert but as you travel past a very strong alert for quite some time.

so KA being a very directional radar, how do other detectors stack up in this situation?
    (not defending the sti bug, just curious if other detectors would have a better chance at detecting KA that is firing in the completely wrong direction)
    I haven't seen (heard?) anything at the DVP/Gardiner split, and I go that way twice a day.

As for other detectors stacking up in this situation, there's no real test done yet to show anything. A couple of points though, the V1 has shown itself to be the most sensitive detector period. Second, lets hope someone does an off-axis test to see how detectors compare in alerting to signals that aren't head-on.

J/

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i

I haven't seen (heard?) anything at the DVP/Gardiner split, and I go that way twice a day.

As for other detectors stacking up in this situation, there's no real test done yet to show anything. A couple of points though, the V1 has shown itself to be the most sensitive detector period. Second, lets hope someone does an off-axis test to see how detectors compare in alerting to signals that aren't head-on.

J/
    Me too I hope someone does an off axis test soon :wink:
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i

J/
    Here's some in the link provided.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=27282