Newcomer

Default Nearly brand new RX65 - dead speaker

I purchased my RX65 from an authorized dealer and it arrived on June 7; date code 1007. After seven weeks, while not "brand new," it's still quite new.

So far it's been on five day trips with my Kawasaki Z1000 riding the handle bar on a trusty 20-year-old Slip Streamer mount. A wire runs from the RD to a little speaker in my helmet.

I've had it in my S-10 a few times but mostly for play: living smack in the middle of the 5th largest city in the US makes busting the PSL impossible or stupid. The RD is wired into my audio system.

I mention the helmet speaker and audio system because it was just yesterday that I noticed at some point in time the RD's speaker went dead! Working fine when I got it, I have no idea when it decided to break.

I haven't dropped it or abused it in any way.

While in my two applications, the audio output is OK, the dead speaker severely limits my RX65's portability.

So, now it needs to go back for repair having barely been put into service.

Very disappointing.

Founder of Stealthvation

Mem-Tek this is your area of expertise
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Lead Foot

They really need to use 2 seperate speakers in these devices: One for the voice, and one for the "beeping". Looking at the detectors that only beep, like the X50, V1, etc....they use those tiny weird metal looking speakers. But the ones that have voice alerts use the bigger speakers for the voice output, but also try to push ear piercing beeps through them.....not gonna work guys.....Even the ancient Bel's with voice alerts have speaker problems...the Express 925 has had its speaker replaced twice from being blown, and it's at a very low volume...when will they learn??

Newcomer

Well, I'm bumping this thread with an update.

I thought it would be a few more weeks before I sent off this RX65 to have the broken speaker fixed.

For a while, tho, I had a suspicion that something wasn't Quite Right. During a group ride on 10/14, I discovered my RX65 was deaf on at least one Ka band. This was verified by the comparison of alerts with two other riders sporting a V1 and another RX65.

I sent it off the next day and Bel signed for it on the 16th.

In the meantime, here it is, the peak riding season here in Arizona and I'm without an RD. I was on a ride last weekend and there are two more this weekend. And you know how it is: once you get used to an RD, you can't go back!

And there's no way to know how long I was riding without Ka detection. I am sure overjoyed I paid the big bucks for the top-of-the-line M4 series.

BTW, the rider with the other RX65 sent his back several months ago for dead audio. Not a dead speaker, no audio at all.

They really need to use 2 separate speakers in these devices: One for the voice, and one for the "beeping".
    True. But that would increase size and mass; not desirable for motorcycle applications. In any event, I never actually used the speaker as I tapped audio at the headphone jack for both my Z1000 and S-10 installations.

Newcomer

My RX65 arrived on my doorstep on 11/01. The speaker was replaced, but there was nothing notated as to what might have been done about the Ka deafness. They did, however, indicate it was "professionally tuned and calibrated" for 11 listed tests. Haven't had it out on any trips yet, but around town it's been OK so far.

Not wanting to ride without an RD, I picked up a V940 at Circuit City (on sale for $135) and took it on several day trips.

if you care to read my IMHO about the V940 and RX65, I have posted some brief comments (as in "scam" and "rip-off") under the Ultimate V7 vs M4 thread.