Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default STi-Remote availability

Does anyone know when this new STi-R will be available in North America? Should I wait?.... Can I wait? I live in Ontario and really like the "stealth" aspect. If it's going to be months or even 6 weeks I am not sure I could wait. However, I am fairly sure that if I go with the right set-up I could do a good stealth install using the regular Sti with the assistance from members on the forum. Question, should I wait or should I just get the current model? If I get the current model is it possible to mount the unit under the hood and use a Cheetah GPS mirror as the interface and to control the unit? or anyone have any good stealth ideas for the Sti besides the "visor pouch" being sold. Lastly, I read that the Sti-R does not have an antenna for the rear, does this really make a big difference?

Yoda of Radar

Rear antenna isn't needed. Regular STI has none either. If you look at the "sensor" the sensor of the STI-R looks almost the same as a regular STI.

The big problem with remote-mounting the normal STI is water intrusion destroying the unit. One member here from Sweden had this occur to him.

STI-R in 6 weeks? Maybe maybe not... It really depends what kind of price you are willing to pay. STI-R is obscenely expensive.

Professional

Just stealth the regular STi. What happens when your built in unit flashes service required and you have to take the whole thing apart and send it in....

Not that it should matter, but the new sensor will be mounted lower so you may not get a far range as you would get with a mounted high STi.

Professional

I would love to have a sti-r,but the two main reasons why remote detectors aren't hot sellers is what kills it for me.First the price.Just friggin ridiculous to ask that much for a remote unit.Then the fact that the suggested mounting location for the antenna to be behind the bumper or front grill just kills how far the antenna can see the roadway.Ya know you would think that Belscort would possibly make a remote unit that placed an antenna at the top inside of your windshield that didn't look so big and obvious and maybe a laser sensor up front on your plate,and call it good.Why their engineering department keeps making these bulky boxes that they know can't see the roadway like it needs to for the unit to inform the driver at the furthest distance possible is beyond me..

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto-radar-chopper
    Just stealth the regular STi.
    Thanks for all the advise. I think the regular unit will do. Radar-Chopper, how would you suggest "stealth mounting" this unit? Here is a pic of the interior. Mine is black and so is the headliner.

http://s113117221.onlinehome.us/Images/bmwx32.jpg

Thanks.

Old Timer

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...r=asc&start=15

This thread should be of-interest to you - and on page 2 of the thread, you'll see one of my old posts, inside of which I have cited several reference links/threads that will give you further "demos" on how others have managed to conceal their detectors (not necessarily the STi, but you'll get the idea) in-cabin.

Professional

Beautiful interior and beautiful car.

My recommendations are my personal opinion of ideas that have worked for me.

Simple idea: Hardware your RD. If you don't know a good electronic shop, google "lockdown enterprises" at 191 Nugget Ave. They will do the install of the wiring but not the radar detector. It costs between $60 - $100 dollars including a toggle switch.

Use a visor clip or order one from Beltronics, and install your RD but then get any sort of visor organizer and install it with the RD hidden underneath it.

Or.

Order the cheetah GPS mirror with the Beltronics hook up, and buy a small speaker box from an audio store and install speaker mesh on both sides. Install the RD there and the alerts will be sent wirelessly to the mirror where it will display the radar band. Not sure if it displays the signal strength.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by denaliman
    Thanks for all the advise. I think the regular unit will do. Radar-Chopper, how would you suggest "stealth mounting" this unit? Here is a pic of the interior. Mine is black and so is the headliner.

Thanks.
    you can always buy a GPS and put in inside the GPS. garmin SP 7xxx or 28xx series is perfect for that. GPS+RD in one unit. even a zumo 550 will fit nicely above the vents in your car. is that the display for the silly idrive crap ? get rid of it and reuse the space. much too brown for me but it looks reasonably well laid out.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Zurk
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliman

Thanks.
    you can always buy a GPS and put in inside the GPS. garmin SP 7xxx or 28xx series is perfect for that. GPS+RD in one unit. even a zumo 550 will fit nicely above the vents in your car. is that the display for the silly idrive crap ? get rid of it and reuse the space. much too brown for me but it looks reasonably well laid out.
    Thanks. I don't need GPS it is built in the the Idrive "crap". Actually, I really like the idrive system. My interior is black not brown. If I could find someway of mounting it in the headliner or maybe the visor. I like Radar Choppers idea of the Cheetah system, but I will still need somewhere to hide the detector.

Radar Chopper, can you explain what exactly you mean about the speaker box and mounting?

Scratonicity Groupie

some things that work...

simple tint on the windows goes a long way to keeping them hidden.

you could try the visor mount and then clip it up into the headliner at the top.

or Roy sells these visor fittings..

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...isorholder.cfm