Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Ok my real experience because I owned both X50 ver5 s7, and the 6.1 ,m4 I think it was...
    The 6.1 was half as chatty as the s7 ver5 when driving thru a door crazy shopping center...
    When I got the ver5 it was so much more livlier and goes off on everything...Cant speak for the 2 laser sensitivity of the two ...I hear the newer versions are better on laser though...

Newcomer

bel 955 1307 beleve that would be march or april 2007 S7 horn ver 4.5

opinion:

It rocks... !!

Quote Originally Posted by thesmeghead
    bel 955 1307 beleve that would be march or april 2007 S7 horn ver 4.5

opinion:

It rocks... !!
    There you have it -- another person with a 2007 Bel RD with an S7 horn! Maybe Bel is bringing back the S7 horns, like I've been saying for a while here. :wink:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by thesmeghead
    bel 955 1307 believe that would be march or april 2007 S7 horn ver 4.5

opinion:

It rocks... !!
    Maybe it's a 955 thing??? Perhaps Belscort thinks they are getting rid of old inferior technology on the low-end consumers.

Newcomer

Hello everyone and this is my first post here, although I have been researching this board for some time now. I have had BEL detectors since I was 17(38 now). Anyone out there remember the old BEL"micro eye"detectors? Anyway, I just purchased a V995 at a flying J about a month ago and it was made in 1607 which would be about April of 07 and it is an S7! This detector flat eats up Ka band from great distances even over hills and around corners, but does seem just a tad weak on K band compared to some others Ive had in the past. Will def. go with a STI in the future after all the bugs are fixed and the dust settles some. LOVE the V995 though!!!! Till later.......

Quote Originally Posted by stamp4
    Hello everyone and this is my first post here, although I have been researching this board for some time now. I have had BEL detectors since I was 17(38 now). Anyone out there remember the old BEL"micro eye"detectors? Anyway, I just purchased a V995 at a flying J about a month ago and it was made in 1607 which would be about April of 07 and it is an S7! This detector flat eats up Ka band from great distances even over hills and around corners, but does seem just a tad weak on K band compared to some others Ive had in the past. Will def. go with a STI in the future after all the bugs are fixed and the dust settles some. LOVE the V995 though!!!! Till later.......
    Yeah, I'm glad my S7 V995 didn't sell recently on eBay. Mine eats Ka band for lunch too!

Of note, the STi bugs are fixed. My re-flashed STi is performing splendidly now, and its sensitivity seems to be up on all radar bands (aside from the obvious fix for 33.8 Ka). Last Friday afternoon in Altanta I got my first laser hit with it too! No ticket although the laser alert nearly made me jump out of my skin.

Speed Demon

Just a hypothesis....could all our 2007 S7 detectors be refurbs sneakily sold as new? Would the change the manufacture date for that?

Newcomer

bkrell,
    that is a intriquing thought, but if they are refurbished units, they are working awesome!! AT least mine is.
    MEM-TEK,
    how much difference is there REALLY between a good 995 and the STI???? Inquiring minds want to know....... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by stamp4
    bkrell,
    that is a intriquing thought, but if they are refurbished units, they are working awesome!! AT least mine is.
    MEM-TEK,
    how much difference is there REALLY between a good 995 and the STI???? Inquiring minds want to know....... :wink:
    Hi stamp4,

I am glad you asked this question since I have been doing a lot of independent testing of the two! Here are some observations regarding my S7 V995 and my re-flashed STi:

X band, Highway mode...

-- My STi definitely is more sensitive on X band. It will start alerting to X band door openers another 150 feet before cresting a hill while approaching a shopping center with X band door openers. I did this test several times at night with almost no traffic. The results were consistent within 30 feet. I would guess that my STi has roughly 3dB more X band sensitivity which is completely overkill in my opinion.

X band, Autoscan mode...

-- Both radar detectors automatically filter out pairs of X band door openers until you are close enough to them such that the signal strength reaches four bars, at which point the Autoscan filtering is overridden and the alert is displayed. The Autoscan circuitry on X band for all Bels works the same way -- it filters out X band door openers up to a certain alert level. This alert level is reached at nearly the same close distances from the door openers with both my S7 V995 and my STi.

K band, Highway mode...

-- The V995 has slightly better off-axis sensitivity at around 20 to 25 degrees. Its not much, maybe only 1dB or 2dB at the most.

-- The STi has slightly better on-axis sensitivity by about 2dB.

K band, Autoscan mode...

-- Of all Bels, only the STi has very weak filtering for K band door openers. Bel has been very conservative and has set the filtering for pairs of K band door openers to anything less than one solid bar on the display. It is enough to make the STi somewhat quieter with regards to K band door openers since K band door openers transmit with much less power than the older X band door openers.

Ka band...

Note: Autoscan mode versus Highway mode has no effect on Ka band, except for an approximate 1 second delay for weak signals while Autoscan double-checks to see if the alert may be a false alert from another radar detector.

-- So far, I haven't been able to see any obvious difference between my S7 V995 and my re-flashed STi because I haven't had enough Ka band hits on different Ka frequencies, or found parked patrol cars with their Ka guns left on. All I can really say is that both my S7 V995 and my re-flashed STi have produced very similar long range alerts on 34.7 Ka band -- up to nearly two miles so far.

Well, there you have it for what its worth!

--Michael

Newcomer

AWESOME info Michael!! Thanks. I will only upgrade to the STI if and when my 995 wears out. I do drive a semi for a living so the STI may be needed in the future if RDD's become a problem, so far I haven't had any problems. :wink:
    till next time.......