Lead Foot

Default fixed STIs still have problems (maybe) ??

it seems to detect KA, K and X fine but this morning i came across a cop who was sitting angles at 90 degrees to the road. he was basically hidden in the bushes watching for speeders with only the bumper of his ford sticking out of the bushes. also running constant KA.
    crude ascii art -
    | |
    | | <Cop--]
    | | Bushes
    | |
    | |
    me

the STI didnt alert until i was 150ft from him and i could see his front headlights.
    The same trip it deteced a cop 0.8 miles and 1.2 miles on Ka. WTF ? :roll: is this another godamn bug ?

Hi Zurk,

Nope, its not another bug. Ka band radar guns inherently put out a much narrower beam compared to K an X band radar guns. Throw on top of that the fact that some models of Ka band radar guns are also very low power. Can I say Stalker? I'll bet it was Ka 34.7 which your STi detected. I hate Ka with a passion since in a lot of cases it is nowhere as easy to detect compared to the older X and K radar guns unless it is pointed in your general direction.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Hi Zurk,

Nope, its not another bug. Ka band radar guns inherently put out a much narrower beam compared to K an X band radar guns. Throw on top of that the fact that some models of Ka band radar guns are also very low power. Can I say Stalker? I'll bet it was Ka 34.7 which your STi detected. I hate Ka with a passion since in a lot of cases it is nowhere as easy to detect compared to the older X and K radar guns unless it is pointed in your general direction.
    35.5 is even worse though. All the RDs will have much shorter detection range at a 90 degree angle on Ka band. I have seen this with BEL and V1. 33.8 seems much easier to detect for some reason even around curves.

GTO_04

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Hi Zurk,

Nope, its not another bug. Ka band radar guns inherently put out a much narrower beam compared to K an X band radar guns.
    Newer K band antenna's have the same beam width with Ka band antenna's.

Professional

Unless there is something to reflect the radar, it will be difficult for any detector to pick up a signal that is 90 degrees off-axis from it. Its just the nature of the beast. It really doesn't matter if its X, K, or Ka, this is a tough situation for any detector.

Take heart in that if the cop was sitting at a 90 degree angle to the road that a radar cannot produce a reading at such an extreme angle anyway, as there will be no Doppler shift. He was probably using laser or VASCAR and just left his radar running.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by bart99gt
    Unless there is something to reflect the radar, it will be difficult for any detector to pick up a signal that is 90 degrees off-axis from it. Its just the nature of the beast. It really doesn't matter if its X, K, or Ka, this is a tough situation for any detector.

Take heart in that if the cop was sitting at a 90 degree angle to the road that a radar cannot produce a reading at such an extreme angle anyway, as there will be no Doppler shift. He was probably using laser or VASCAR and just left his radar running.
    X2.

V1 Zombie

Interesting place to be looking for victims. With the car sitting like that (looks like 90d to the road) the cop could be running a ka gun. could be sitting on his floor or pointing the other way do not worry as this is completely normal as it is a real world situation. ...