Default bel vector "micro eye"

Hi, I've recently stumbled across a bel vector "micro eye". theres no model number on it, and it isnt exactly new. I found it in my garage collecting dust. I was told it didn't work so i decided to take it apart to see what was wrong, what did i have to lose? a non-working RD? lol

anyhow. i got it to work (simply re-solding the ground connection in the cigarette lighter adapter) and sure enough it works.

I'm just curious to figure out a couple things:

1.)roughly how old is this? is it even worth using nowadays with RDD advancing? for example, would I be picked off easier. and if so would just simply turning this off eliminate the RD signal comming from my car?

2.) what does RSD, FILTER, and the LO, LR abriviations stand for?

3.) the yellow light and red light in the middle, what are those indicating?
    when i have the filter set to LR the yellow light pulses a lot slower (lit up for a longer periode of time) rather than a quick flash when its set to LO.

any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

This detector is probably close to 20 years old. It does not detect anything in the Ka band, which is the frequency most used by police today. It also has no laser detecting ability.

Put it back in your garage!!! 8)

J/

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    Put it back in your garage!!! 8) J/

Newcomer

I had one of those in 1986. Bought it from Crutchfield, used it under 30 days and returned it. Bought a CM Passport instead. Anyways, the original Vector is an X and K band only, so it is pretty useless today.
    The LO is local and LR is long range. It's a city and highway filter. I think the RSD stands for radio signal discriminator or something like that. Don't exaclty remember what it does. The pulsing light is a power indicator, and the led to the right of it lights up when there is a signal present. Then there are 5 leds to the right of that.

Radar Fanatic

The were great on X band! They were great RDs in their time, but lack Ka and laser for todays threats!

GTO_04

Experienced

Donate it to the radar detector museum.

Speed Demon

Default Re: bel vector "micro eye"

Quote Originally Posted by nikunter View Post
    Hi, I've recently stumbled across a bel vector "micro eye". theres no model number on it, and it isnt exactly new. I found it in my garage collecting dust. I was told it didn't work so i decided to take it apart to see what was wrong, what did i have to lose? a non-working RD? lol

anyhow. i got it to work (simply re-solding the ground connection in the cigarette lighter adapter) and sure enough it works.

I'm just curious to figure out a couple things:

1.)roughly how old is this? is it even worth using nowadays with RDD advancing? for example, would I be picked off easier. and if so would just simply turning this off eliminate the RD signal comming from my car?

2.) what does RSD, FILTER, and the LO, LR abriviations stand for?

3.) the yellow light and red light in the middle, what are those indicating?
    when i have the filter set to LR the yellow light pulses a lot slower (lit up for a longer periode of time) rather than a quick flash when its set to LO.

any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

I think I may have had one of those. Could you post a picture of it?

Thanks.

Experienced

Default Re: bel vector "micro eye"