Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Autoscan Mode or Highway Mode question

I have a Vector 895 that has a Autoscan mode feature that is recommended in the manual for most driving. I have always keep it on the Highway mode.

Should I go to Autoscan mode, and if so, please tell my why it is that much better than Highway mode?

Also, how is it anymore senitive than the Highway mode?

All replies are welcomed and appreciated.

Newcomer

34 views and nobody knows anything about a Bel Vector Autoscan mode. :?

I know there is a ton of smart people in here, so maybe they all at work.

Banned

There is a slight delay in auto scan mode to weed out automatic door pairs.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=30220

MEM-TEK wrote:
    Autoscan mode imposes an approximate 1 second delay for weak to moderately weak radar signals. Why? Because Autoscan mode inherently filters out pairs of X band door openers. The one second delay is usually enough time, while you are driving, for Autoscan to match up additional microwave door opener signals into pairs of microwave sources without triggering a false alert.

Note that Autoscan has failed on me by occasionally alerting to distant door openers while I am stopped at a busy intersection and my radar detector is detecting multiple random radar reflections from all of the moving cars within the intersection. Nevertheless, Autoscan mode does make for a much quieter drive within suburbs or cities.

When in rural areas or on open highways, obviously highway mode might be preferable since you could be interested in getting the earliest possible alert (even by just 1 additional second of advance warning) in order to potentially avoid an instant-on radar speeding ticket. The problem is that modern instant-on radar guns have become so good that they can measure your speed even if you are decelerating rapidly (stomping on the brakes). So, in short, Highway versus Autoscan isn't likely to make any difference as to whether or not you eventually get nailed by instant-on for speeding.

Thats my two cents!

--Michael

Speed Demon

Autoscan IS good for city use where speeds aren't that great but on the highway...I like HIGHWAY mode. :wink: As long as you either have no door openers or have them committed to memory, why not get the best, quickest signal?

Banned

I always use highway mode, unless im not going to speed at all.

Good Citizen

Highway mode all the way. It's supposed to be more sensitive but my falses were about the same between the 2 modes so I would just stick with HIGHWAY.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Autoscan Mode or Highway Mode question

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerMan
    IShould I go to Autoscan mode, and if so, please tell my why it is that much better than Highway mode?

Also, how is it anymore senitive than the Highway mode?
    It's not anymore sensitive than Highway mode, in fact it suppresses radar alerts under certain conditions. The only reason to use it is if you're in an urban area with a lot of motion sensors, and you can't stand the false alerts.

Newcomer

According to the Beltronics manual Autoscan is recommended for most driving. It says it provides a long-range warning with minimum false alarms, along with a internal computer that continuously analyzes all incoming signals, and intelligently filters out false alarms.

It looks to me like, if the long range warning is true, it should be the best setting to keep it on even on the highway.

According to the Beltronics manual Autoscan is recommended for most driving. It says it provides a long-range warning with minimum false alarms, along with a internal computer that continuously analyzes all incoming signals, and intelligently filters out false alarms.

It looks to me like, if the long range warning is true, it should be the best setting to keep it on even on the highway.
    Autoscan does not affect the sensitivity when the radar detector is detecting only a single radar source. In such situations and when detecting X band (and K band for the STi), Autoscan imposes roughly a 1 second delay while it searches for additional same band radar sources in order for the radar detector to decide if it is actually detecting one or more pairs of microwave door openers. Other than the 1 second delay and when detecting just a single radar source, the radar detector's sensitivity is just as good as when it is in Highway mode.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK

Autoscan does not affect the sensitivity when the radar detector is detecting only a single radar source. In such situations and when detecting X band (and K band for the STi), Autoscan imposes roughly a 1 second delay while it searches for additional same band radar sources in order for the radar detector to decide if it is actually detecting one or more pairs of microwave door openers. Other than the 1 second delay and when detecting just a single radar source, the radar detector's sensitivity is just as good as when it is in Highway mode.
    MEM-TEK my friend, if you had my detector what mode would you travel with Autoscan or Highway mode?

BTW, check out the story of what happen to me tonight in my "Beltronics question" thread.

Thanks for the info.