The Netherworld of the Force

Default Voice alert or standard alert tones...which to use???

I will be purchasing the STi Driver after my eBay auction for my X50 Blue is over. I am trying to see from other STi users out there which alert mode would be best (and least annoying): the standard alert tones OR the voice alert?

SW Washington

I don't have an STI, but I'll chime in anyway. I don't use voice alerts because it sounds the tone a couple times first and then starts the voice alert, so I end up looking up at my detector to get the frequency/listening to the tone. This means that I recognize the threat first before the voice alert starts; then the voice alert happens and it's just annoying.

So, personally, I don't like it. Now if I used SWS and it stated the what the warning was, that might be nice.

I turned off voice alerts the very day I bought my STi, V995 and 9500i, after powering up each model a couple of times to memorize the different alert tones. The voice alerts are nice, but I am old school and for years have simply relied on the different warning tones generated by radar detectors.

Power User
    MI / MA

The voice alerts are good for the first few days when you are familiarizing yourself to the various alerts.... OTherwise they might cover up critical changes in ramp-up during the voice alert.... of course with the STI that's much less of a problem thanks to the two-stage rampup

Speed Demon
    Columbus, OH

Voice alerts off, as Jabomb9 said, I look at it when it goes off to see the signal strength anyway, if its an area i dont know, or if its area i do and it has deviated from normal. So, not only does the tone tell you the band, your looking at it too by the time it tells you, just redundant.

Too bad it doesn’t tell you the warning type like the 9500I, I love the voice alert on that thing.