Newcomer

Default STI With PoP on Today And...

About 175 mile drive...75 miles of it on Interstate. Maybe you guys can add some comments but my observations were:

1 The unit seemed to run a little hotter than normal? My imagination?

2 Got 1 alert for PoP the whole trip but come to think of it I ran it on yesterday too...about 40 miles around town. I think the alert I got was false...I did see a Crown Vic going the other way. Not sure I would call falsing a problem on mine...seemed pretty quiet really.

3 Had a KA encounter oncoming C/O....Range for that alert seemed short (less than .5 mile) I did have the STI in citynx mode at the time.

SOme Arkansas Highway Controllers have BEE III units and I expect PoP is used in my area but if it kills performance overall I might turn it back off. I know some of you guys don't run PoP mode cause it's not used in your area but what do ya think about the fact it is here? Or maybe you don't use it cause of falses...I didn't observe a problem with that issue. I know officers can not legally write a citation for speed based on a PoP read but ya know, cops break the law in order to enforce the law every day.

WaDaYa think?

Power User

State of Arkansas has contract with decatur electronics as recent as 2007 with extention. No MPH on their web site.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    State of Arkansas has contract with decatur electronics as recent as 2007 with extention.
    Ok, Wonder how long decatur has had it?...I get hit with KA a lot and isn't decatur K band? I also get hit with K band too.....sooo.....

I have actually sat in a State car :roll: :roll: and laid eyes on the Bee III unit...my V1 did alert about the time I was already on the brakes, HARD...77 in a 55. This was outside Little Rock some years back. I wasn't driving that fast, I had just passed a stupid bus and whammo...just bad luck.

Power User

POP MODE can only be used stationary so you likely got a false POP. I have only encountered one POP that was real in St. Louis Mo. POP falses alot and dont feel its a real threat so I keep it off now.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird
    POP MODE can only be used stationary so you likely got a false POP. I have only encountered one POP that was real in St. Louis Mo. POP falses alot and dont feel its a real threat so I keep it off now.
    Can be used in moving too.

Power User

Food for thought, Florida state troopers as well as other law enforcement agencys use Ka 33.8... known as the BEE... but that alone does not prove the that it is POP capable let alone enabled.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Food for thought, Florida state troopers as well as other law enforcement agencys use Ka 33.8... known as the BEE... but that alone does not prove the that it is POP capable let alone enabled.
    POP feature in their MPH moving and stationary models in Florida is disabled. No one can use it unless the unit was acquired from other sources other than MPH.

Newcomer

You guys are about to convince me to turn pOp off and forget about it...I can't honestly say for sure I have got a pOp hit in the last 2 weeks...driving in OK, AR, MO, TX....3000mi maybe

The good news is maybe only 2 pOp falsies...Don't see that many cobra units around here I guess. SOunds like I might as well turn Laser off to...get some LLP's and in the meantime watch for brakelights...get a CB too

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by thetruth
    SOunds like I might as well turn Laser off to...
    I wouldn't...you never know when po-po in your area will use it. Keep it on to be safe.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruth
    SOunds like I might as well turn Laser off to...
    I wouldn't...you never know when po-po in your area will use it. Keep it on to be safe.
    Right on Victor.....sometimes I re-read my posts and wonder wtf I was thinking...guess I expect folks to be able to read my mind. I agree with you...I would only turn laser off if I get a jammer...LLP is what I am leaning towards.

The way I see laser is kinda like the way I have experienced lighting strikes firsthand....The hair stands up on the back of your head right before a strike and you already knew it's storm clouds around...you just don't really think about it till after it's already happened. What I mean is normally you see a flash and then hear thunder...uhhhh. when it's 20 feet away you are blinded by the *flash* and the thunder hits simultaneously with a shockwave that knocks you sideways.

Kinda like the theory I use gaming when I am against my grandson in 1st person shooters (I always am a sniper) If you are seen by the enemy most likely it's too late, you are already dead. Don't know if that even makes any sense to ya but that's how I see laser warning from a radar detector...the warning puts you over the edge because you know it's most urgent...you also know your best reaction is futile. Your toast.