Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default High Mount Reduce Rear Antenna?

So I recently mounted my detector high, and will be hardwiring it soon. But I have it mounted pretty high and theres not much room for the rear antenna to get a reading. Does mounting it high reduce the rear antenna range. or should I be fine. This is with an RX65.

Power User

Why worry about it in the first place when the RX65 has no rear antenna anyway. :wink: You should be okey.

Experienced

What's the little guy at the top then?

Radar Fanatic

Rear laser, somewhat useless, what you see on top is a light tube that connects to the front laser sensor.

Power User

Rear laser sensor.

Mind you it is already difficult for the front to detect laser to begin with, worry about about the front detection more.

Experienced

Ahh ok, I thought that detected radar too.

Thanks for the information guys!

Speed Demon

While there may be no rear-facing antenna, make no mistake that the RX 65 picks up radar from behind.

It being a radio signal, it will be less bound to "line of sight" than laser, so if that rear facing laser detector thing is a joke, then you can't help your self with a lower mounting position.

It seems to me that US Leos are more crafty in their speed enforcement tricks, but here in AB I've never seen or heard about being lasered from behind. They nail you head on, then step out and flag you down for your ticket.

Hey, by the way, somewhat off topic, how do you like the V12? I've only ridden in the v8 version, myself.

Experienced

Ahh ok, thanks for the replies, I will keep it mounted high.

I love it It definitely gets on it for how heavy the car is. Gas consumption is pretty bad I'm getting about 11-12 mpg city, and even lower if I'm driving hard. Overall it's drives pretty good, and feels very solid at high speeds.

Speed Demon

I'm delighted to hear that -- not the part about the gas, but all the rest. I've read about how the V12 is smooth as silk, and like nothing else that has fewer cylinders.

I nearly, oh so nearly, had the chance to buy the mother-in-law-to-be's 1990 xjs, that had a v12. I told her I wanted it, should she ever seek to unload it, but she let it go to a friend who also had a thing for it. Grrrr. It was, she claimed, quite reliable, which, of course, is a rare bonus for many years of Jag production. Oh well.

I 'spect you'll get a lot of road-way assistance with your Bel as co-pilot. I like mine a lot.

Experienced

Yes, I definitely have had a lot of saves with it over the last year. About 6 months ago I sent it in for a self-cal messages, but it's working now. Once this detector breaks or I decide to sell it (they're going for nothing on ebay ) I'm going to get a V1