Default 955 is back from Bel, but what does this mean?

My 955 was just returned from Bel after repair. (They included a new smart power cord)

Unit was only 6 weeks old when it died.

Came with note stating "antenna repaired"

How does an antenna break?
    What does it mean to repair it?

Just wondering....

Speed Demon

Default Re: 955 is back from Bel, but what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sascuderi
    My 955 was just returned from Bel after repair. (They included a new smart power cord)

Just wondering....
    The antenna is the horn, it probably wasnt broken in the physical sense of the word, but it may have been out of tune, and sometimes repaired could mean replaced as well. You never know. Good detector choice, do you have the M4? or the S7?

Not sure what platform. How do I tell?

Default Re: 955 is back from Bel, but what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sascuderi

Just wondering....
    It wasn't the metal horn that was a problem. For Bel, "antenna" means any electrical component which is located on the local oscillator (LO) circuit board which is installed inside the metal antenna horn. The LO board is fairly complex and features several extremely tiny electrical components. Several of these very tiny electrical components are way too small to be automatically put in place by a "pick and place" machine and must be put in place by a person using a low power microscope. The problem could have been a slightly errantly placed tiny electrical component which didn't form a good solder connection to its contacts on the LO board, a defective electrical component, or possibly a problem which required a very proprietary "fix" to resolve.

In any event, use your radar detector regularly for the next month. If it performs flawlessly during this period then you should be rest assured that it will perform reliably for at least 2 to 3 years.

One way to extend the lifetime of any radar detector is to protect it from temperature extremes. Don't leave it baking in the sun during the summer while your car is parked. Likewise, don't leave it freezing in the cold on extremely cold winter nights. If it is a pain to take your radar detectors indoors for the night, then at least put it in a padded case to insulate it from the cold or perhaps wrap it in a towel and leave it in the car.

Thanks for the info!!

In the process of trying it out now.

I am curious to see how it will perform now compared to how it was working in the first 6 weeks. (before it died)

Ok, what I have noticed so far is that since coming back from Bel the unit is much more sensitive to all bands.

I am getting alerts sooner than when the unit was new! So, whatever they did has not only brought my 955 back to life but has made it perform much, much better!