Newcomer

Default RX65 saved me from an instant on Ka

I was driving home tonight on the freeway through a stretch where the speed limit goes down to 55, where it was previously 70. I got a quick reading of Ka band twice with just a Ka1 reading both times.

1.1 miles further down the road was a LEO sitting almost in the woods behind the speed limit sign (how ironic!!) The RX65 did a great job alerting me as I approached the cop. There were cars around me so it took awhile for the RX to go full blast...Ka9 but it did when I was right on him just about.

The great part is that I speed through that stretch everyday as does everyone else. I doubled back around for another shot at him but he had someone pulled over by the time I was able to double back.

Experienced

Good to hear its doing its job. I just came back from out of town and pulled up next to an undercover leo. I was doing the speed limit and he dropped under the speed limit and turned his gun on constant while driving in the far right lane just behind me. I think he was trying to mess with me, because he did see my detector on the windshield when I pulled up to him. Yes it works officer and I have automute. :wink:

Radar Fanatic

ahaa I have that happen all the time... some I've had LEOS follow me for miles and around corners blasting me with radar the whole time, really really annoying.

Actually what they might be doing is not messing with you, but rather using you as a shield to hide themselves shooting radar either backwards, or at oncoming traffic.

Newcomer

A car with a radar detector can be used as a shield?

Professional

If a copp is surrounded the radar waves are not as strong therefore giving other drivers with detectors less time to slow down. Also if they hide behind you a driver with a RD would see their RD's going off and not see a cop and might ignore it. I have witness this myself. I would be going around a turn and my x50 would be going off. I see a full size truck banking the turn as i pass him "slowed to the speed limit by then", a LEO is right behind him.

Professional

RD's PAY THEMSELVES OFF COUNTLESS TIMES!!!!!!!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PassportToSpeed
    Good to hear its doing its job. I just came back from out of town and pulled up next to an undercover leo. I was doing the speed limit and he dropped under the speed limit and turned his gun on constant while driving in the far right lane just behind me. I think he was trying to mess with me, because he did see my detector on the windshield when I pulled up to him. Yes it works officer and I have automute. :wink:
    I too had this happen, when I had my RamAir TA. I was behind an Indiana State Trooper driving a Camaro equipped with a Python II which must have same lane capabilities. He kept blasting me with the rear antenna. I think that was more because I was driving a TA than the fact I had a radar detector. He probably was wondering why he coudln't get a clock on me. Ka band does very poorly against a WS6 TA, especially if it is black (non metallic paint).

The funny thing is there was another Firebird (V6) behind me at the same time. He was probably wondering why in the hell the 2 F-bodies in front of him were doing the speed limit!

GTO_04