Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "New" V995

Radar Fanatic

Default My "New" V995

I have been using a V995 that I recieved a few days ago and Oh My Gosh is it noisy on Kband around town...I have noticed if there is a Kband door opener within a mile it picks it up. The rd is the old S7 Rev 4.5..Talk about nerve wracking. I was using a V955 M4 and it was nice and quite. I think I may go back to using it, and no I'm not trying to start a S7 and M4 debate. I'm just stating my new experiance.

Now you can appreciate how nice the M4 antenna design is since it is less sensitive far (more than 30 degrees) off-axis. The M4 antenna design is much more effective at dealing with the proliferation of K band door openers located in shopping centers off to the sides of the road. Now that you have both platforms you can do your own comparisons and report your findings, thus keeping alive the now "classic" S7 versus M4 debate!

Professional

Yeah, I'm not tired of this debate yet either... Some people feel that they've hashed it out as much as possible, but I still find it interesting to hear other people's opinions on the subject. I would certainly encourage anyone who feels they might have some new info or an opinion that hasn't been expressed yet about this topic to post it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Now you can appreciate how nice the M4 antenna design is since it is less sensitive far (more than 30 degrees) off-axis. The M4 antenna design is much more effective at dealing with the proliferation of K band door openers located in shopping centers off to the sides of the road. Now that you have both platforms you can do your own comparisons and report your findings, thus keeping alive the now "classic" S7 versus M4 debate!
    So Mem, I wonder since the M4 filters better for more than 30 degrees, do you think this is a disadvantage when cops are hiding in milks and crannies?

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic
    Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    So Mem, I wonder since the M4 filters better for more than 30 degrees, do you think this is a disadvantage when cops are hiding in milks and crannies?
    Hey dude!

In a nutshell, no. The M4 has somewhat better on-axis to near on-axis sensitivity compared to the older S7. Just 10 degrees off-axis at a 1/2 mile down the road covers a lot of terrain to either side of the roadway ahead of you or approximately 240 feet to either side of your direction of travel. Thats 3/4 of a football field to either side of the roadway at a 1/2 mile away! Yet both platforms have almost identical sensitivity roll-off within this rather narrow 0 to 10 degree off-axis range.

Here is my view of the "worst" speed trap scenarios which I have encountered during 20+ years of using radar detectors:

In over 20 years of using radar detectors I have encountered less than a half dozen speed traps where I could have potentially been nailed and where the officer's radar location was more than 30 degrees off-axis relative to my driving path. Well, actually I did get nailed once, but that was with my Cobra Trapshooter Pro III which has 15 degree angled side walls in its horn just like today's radar detectors. All of these instances were on very curvy roads in the mountains. My even older Cobra Trapshooter Pro II with its huge (roughly 3 inch width) and very widely flared horn could rather easily detect these speed traps, but all of the current crop of radar detectors which use horns with approximately 15 to 18 degrees of side flare for their horns probably would miss the earliest warning. This includes all of the Belscort and Whistler products and the V1.

In other words, these types of very specific speed traps are very rare to come across. They basically always only occur on back roads and on state highways in very specific and ideal locations. When one considers how prolific and annoying K band door openers are nowadays, I strongly feel that the new M4 platform is optimized for today's average driving conditions which combine both highway and city driving.

If you live in a particular area with highways that have unusually wide and open medians plus a few mild hills thrown into the mix, then the old S7 platform would offer some advantage when detecting oncoming Ka band radar from the other side of the highway. Note that I merely say "some advantage". Its not like the older S7 platform is going to magically "blow you away" in terms of its performance versus the M4 platform even in this type of scenario. Why? Because the newer M4 platform is more sensitive to Ka band radar yet the older S7 platform is more sensitive 15 to 30 degrees off-axis. Yet beyond 30 degrees even the S7 platform's sensitivity rapidly rolls off to near nothing -- just like any other radar detector.

This whole S7 versus M4 debate has been fun, hasn't it? And yet when using both platforms in highway "real world" encounters there isn't a whole heck of a substantial difference since most radar encounters on the highway occur well within the 0 to 30 degree off-axis range. Thus one could simply consider the newer M4 platform as being tweaked for today's real world driving conditions.

Default Re: My "New" V995

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy2288
    I have been using a V995 that I recieved a few days ago and Oh My Gosh is it noisy on Kband around town...I have noticed if there is a Kband door opener within a mile it picks it up. The rd is the old S7 Rev 4.5..Talk about nerve wracking. I was using a V955 M4 and it was nice and quite. I think I may go back to using it, and no I'm not trying to start a S7 and M4 debate. I'm just stating my new experiance.

Hey, just wondering.

When you found the M4 to be more "quiet" than the S7, what mode did you have the M4 V995 in? City, Highway, or AutoScan??

Default Re: My "New" V995

Quote Originally Posted by sascuderi
    Hey, just wondering.

When you found the M4 to be more "quiet" than the S7, what mode did you have the M4 V995 in? City, Highway, or AutoScan??
    Woops, sorry! I should have mentioned that the my tests compare both platforms in Highway mode (no filtering). If you find your S7 a bit too noisy around town, then there are a few people here who would love to purchase your S7 for their specific driving needs. Just create a post and ask anyone interested to PM you about it.

Radar Fanatic

I tried all 3 modes. Autoscan,CitynoX,and Hwy. It really didnt matter since none of the setting are meant to filter K band radar and that is what I get alot of falses on in town. I will mention that once I moved away from town to the highway I did not have a problem with this and had same performance on both rds. I would have to say that in "my" opinion the V955 S7 has nothing over the V955 M4 other than features.

I'm one of the guys on here that can give an unbiased opionion because I can care less about who has the greatest detector and go strictly by what I've experianced in both worlds. I have realized something great from this dual radar experiance. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY WORRYING ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY. And as not to offend anyone, What I mean is everyone one here has a different oppinion about a rd and platform. Find an good qaulity known rd in working function and enjoy it. Once again this is only my opinion.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy2288
    I tried all 3 modes. Autoscan,CitynoX,and Hwy. It really didnt matter since none of the setting are meant to filter K band radar and that is what I get alot of falses on in town. I will mention that once I moved away from town to the highway I did not have a problem with this and had same performance on both rds. I would have to say that in "my" opinion the V955 S7 has nothing over the V955 M4 other than features.

I'm one of the guys on here that can give an unbiased opionion because I can care less about who has the greatest detector and go strictly by what I've experianced in both worlds. I have realized something great from this dual radar experiance. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY WORRYING ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY. And as not to offend anyone, What I mean is everyone one here has a different oppinion about a rd and platform. Find an good qaulity known rd in working function and enjoy it. Once again this is only my opinion.
    I'll drink to that....

Quote Originally Posted by LordVector
    I'll drink to that....
    Me too!