Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Newbie saying hello and seeking advice...

Hey guys just joined the forums and have recently purchased a brand new bel sti xr I've been lurking around this place for a little while picking up a few things here and there.... though one thing I'd like to get some professional opinion on or any opinion is where my detector is mounted if it's okay.

Where I come from in aus RD's are illegal so I need to keep mine mounted low for the time being as it's not hardwired yet but im not sure if where it's placed now is too low for it to function 100% so I took some photos today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...y/19042008.jpg - Front view

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...42008002-1.jpg - Rear view

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...9042008001.jpg - Another rear shot.

Any tips and advice would be helpful and if anyones curious it's not a fast car just a stock standard 91 camry..... I like gadgets and a RD is one I've wanted for a long time.

thanks guys.

Radar Fanatic

Since detectors are illegal where you are, attaching your Sti to the windshield with the suction cups is a recipe for disaster.

All it will take is some cop to pull up beside you and see the detector--and your busted.

Get yourself a cheap CD holder that attaches to your visor. Hardwire the Sti and mount the detector under the visor so its not visible from outside the car.

Otherwise, Radarbusters.com has a visor with a built-in pouch that holds the Sti (but I've heard of them not shipping outside the States as of late.)

J.

Newcomer

Thanks for the advice, I had thought about getting one of those pouches from the place I bought the RD from but was turned away by reports of the RD's not working as well behind the dark tinting all the way up there?

for the time being though is the RD mounted correctly with enough clearance from the windscreen wipers and what not?

Radar Fanatic

I'm also in an area where you can't use detectors.
    The pouch doesn't affect the detector's ability to receive radar signals (they pass through the fabric without any problem)

Also, the car's tint strip "may" affect a detector's ability to see laser signals if its mounted behind a really dark tint strip, but laser detection is really "hit and miss" at the best of times anyway.

The downside of having your detector in a pouch is that you're covering up the laser receiving lens--so don't expect much in the way of laser detection anyway--that's where you need to get a good jammer.

J/

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmy
    Thanks for the advice, I had thought about getting one of those pouches from the place I bought the RD from but was turned away by reports of the RD's not working as well behind the dark tinting all the way up there?

for the time being though is the RD mounted correctly with enough clearance from the windscreen wipers and what not?
    Also tinted windows, side and rear ones, NOT the windshield, helps a lot in the entire conceal system!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    The pouch doesn't affect the detector's ability to receive radar signals (they pass through the fabric without any problem)

Also, the car's tint strip "may" affect a detector's ability to see laser signals if its mounted behind a really dark tint strip, but laser detection is really "hit and miss" at the best of times anyway.

The downside of having your detector in a pouch is that you're covering up the laser receiving lens--so don't expect much in the way of laser detection anyway--that's where you need to get a good jammer.

J/
    Not sure if by pouch you mean a normal cd holder I've been using since the very beginning, and the results are:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...r=asc&start=15

pretty impressive

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07

J/
    Not sure if by pouch you mean a normal cd holder I've been using since the very beginning, and the results are:

pretty impressive
    The "pouch" as I call it was a special visor holder made to hold detectors. It was sold by radarbusters.com and I've seen it on some other competitors' websites.

J/

Radar Fanatic

J/

pretty impressive
    The "pouch" as I call it was a special visor holder made to hold detectors. It was sold by radarbusters.com and I've seen it on some other competitors' websites.

J/
    Got it now Jerry, thanks a lot, so different than a regular Wal Mart CD holder...

Professional

J/

pretty impressive

J/
    Got it now Jerry, thanks a lot, so different than a regular Wal Mart CD holder...
    Neltronics' website in Australia has them there. When I bought my visor holder from Radarbusters, the packaging said NELTRONICS right on it...

Power User

Default Re: Newbie saying hello and seeking advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmy
    Hey guys just joined the forums and have recently purchased a brand new bel sti xr I've been lurking around this place for a little while picking up a few things here and there.... though one thing I'd like to get some professional opinion on or any opinion is where my detector is mounted if it's okay.

Where I come from in aus RD's are illegal so I need to keep mine mounted low for the time being as it's not hardwired yet but im not sure if where it's placed now is too low for it to function 100% so I took some photos today.

- Front view

- Rear view

- Another rear shot.

Any tips and advice would be helpful and if anyones curious it's not a fast car just a stock standard 91 camry..... I like gadgets and a RD is one I've wanted for a long time.

thanks guys.
    I really would not worry about performance it will perform pretty well, I would be more concerned about it being easily seen, being that it is illegal for you.

I would highly recommend a visor mount and run the cord hidden, its easier than you think to slip behind the molding.