Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just bought the STi, some q's

Hi, my name is mike & I'm new to the forum. I am a truck driver and just yesterday bought the STi. I did my homework and it seemed the "stealthieness" would be the best choice for me.

I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me out with.

1) From what I understand the "laser" detection won't go off until the laser is focused on my vehicle? So basically, there's nothing I can do to prevent this? (RD's are not legal in CMV's)

2) Any other truck drivers out there with a suggestion on where to mount this where it's not visible, but will still rec. a signal? I had it on my dash next to my satelite radio, but it still seems to be pretty noticeable there.

Lead Foot

Welcome to the forum. I think the best think to do is buy a sunvisor mount and hardwire it there. With the sunvisor mount, the STi wont run as hot. I had one and with the magnesium case, it gets extremely hot and of course heat is the worst enemy of electronics.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    it gets extremely hot and of course heat is the worst enemy of electronics.
    I always thought that was water :P

I think the best think to do is buy a sunvisor mount and hardwire it there.
    I am a company driver and i'm sure a radar detector is "against company policy", which is too bad because i've already got the wires right there for my CB.

Banned

ModularMike, what kind of truck?
    Because trucks are much higher than the LEO or any other car I would mount it low on your dash as long as nothing is obstructing the front of the RD.
    When i use to drive a truck i put a base ball cap over it with the RD poking out of the back.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SoulRider4Ever
    it gets extremely hot and of course heat is the worst enemy of electronics.
    I always thought that was water :P
    lol, that too. Well, heat is one of the enemies

Quote Originally Posted by CJR238
    It's a KW T600, the interior looks basically like this. I have my satellite radio above about where the white cuff of the guy's shirt is.

Edit: also, how do you know what firmware it has & what is the difference in them? it says 3507 on teh bottom of it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ModularMike
    It's a KW T600, the interior looks basically like this. I have my satellite radio above about where the white cuff of the guy's shirt is.

Looks a little tuff, I would have put it where the guys hand/cuff is just closer to the windshield but it looks like it would get blocked by the windshield wipers. If it doesn’t get blocked use the hat idea or cut a hole in a tissue box.
    Your truck is so high the LEO would need to be in your truck to see it. :wink:
    You can’t even see it when the driver’s door is open:

[quote="CJR238"][quote="ModularMike"]
    ModularMike, what kind of truck?Your truck is so high the LEO would need to be in your truck to see it. :wink:

right, i was thinking that too. But what if they are looking for things like that while their sitting in the median. Or maybe i'm just being paranoid and they couldn't get a close enough look @ highway speeds???

Banned

Just a bit paranoid. :P

The nose of your truck is huge so even if the LEO was walking around your truck it would be unlikely for him to see it mounted on your dash. There is no way to get a close enough look especially at highway speeds. Just take it down for weight stations and bring a hat for when you run into some place quick.