Default Need some help with my Hardwired BEL 955

I've been having this problem for quite awhile and I really need a fix. I have a BEL 955 and I've got it hardwired. I've been having a problem with the VOLUME ramp-up going on and off once in awhile while hardwired as if I'm pressing and holding the volume button when I'm not. Also the VOLUME BUTTON is unusable while it's hardwired. It does nothing if you press on it.

When I use the cigarette lighter cord, it works like a charm and never ramps-up on me out of nowhere.

I understand that this is triggered by one of the wires since my cigarette lighter cord has a mute button which you can press and hold to adjust the volume.

I've also sent my radar detector for service since recently my LASER band kept going on and off out of nowhere. They sent it back saying they've replaced the LASER circuitry and everything else works perfectly.

Any ideas, maybe I can clip one of the colored wires so this doesn't trigger that problem. Thanks for all your help

Experienced

there might be a problem with the rj-11 connection on the hardwire, sounds like the mute wire is being earthed or charged ( i dont know how the mute works ) where normally you would just have a + and - wire with the mute button theres another wire from my understanding.

if you have the tools just chop the plug off and re-crimp it with a new plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax
    there might be a problem with the rj-11 connection on the hardwire, sounds like the mute wire is being earthed or charged ( i dont know how the mute works ) where normally you would just have a + and - wire with the mute button theres another wire from my understanding.

if you have the tools just chop the plug off and re-crimp it with a new plug.
    This is what I was thinking too.

gottarex, try running by your local Radio Shack and see if they have a RJ-11 crimp tool already opened and which you can quickly borrow to recrimp the RJ-11 plug on the end of the hardwire cord. This may be all it needs rather than cutting the plug off and putting on a new one. Yet note:

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE INLINE FUSE ON THE HARDWIRE KIT'S POWER WIRE BEFORE RECRIMPING THE RJ-11 PLUG OR BEFORE CUTTING OFF THE OLD RJ-11 PLUG AND REPLACING IT WITH A NEW ONE!!!

thanks for the tips guys. I'm goin to try that out

I ended up snipping the yellow wire as someone suggested. Works like a charm now and all buttons work flawlessly. Thanks for all your help guys