Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default truck driver & have ? about STI driver

Hi everybody.
    I am a semi driver and have been monitoring this site for quite sometime and don't post much but do research ALOT here and this site is awesome with some very knowledgable poeple. My first question is when most of you on this site talk about your detection distances, are you talking about from time of detection to site of LEO or what? The reason I ask is because a LEO traveling toward you will cover half the distance and meet you in the middle, unlike a stationary LEO. So if you get an alert and 1.5 mile down the road you meet the LEO traveling toward you going the opposite direction, isn't that actually considered a 3 mile alert?? I have gotten 2 1/4 mile 33.8 ghz alert from my V995 in Iowa from a LEO sitting in the middle of the road, and this was over the crest of a hill also! But I have also gotten an alert on a straighter stretch on the same highway from one coming towards me and met him 2 miles after my first alert. This would be 4 miles. Is this correct?
    My second question is NOT considering the fact that the STI is undetectable, is the detection range in the real world much more noticable than a good S7 V995?? I am looking at getting a STI but not sure that the price difference is worth the extra range.? Anyone with experience with both would be great. I am not trying to start a 995 vrs. STI topic here so please dont go there, but is it worth it? Thanks for any help you guys can give.
    stamp4

Radar Fanatic

If you're driving a semi the best bet would be the STi. When I write about the range I experience with an oncoming LEO its always double the distance from the first beep to the point where I meet the LEO. While not an exact distance, I usually slow down to within 5 of PSL if i think an alert is real and assuming the LEO is within 5mph too.

Yoda of Radar

The STi is quite a vit more sensitive than the V995:

http://www.guysoflidar.com/august-20...ctor-test.html

Cheetah Rep

Yeah, i'm going to go with the STi as well in this instance, due to your profession.
    last thing you need is to drive through a state using an RDD, such as Texas, and get stopped for it, plus you'll enjoy the added highway range.

Radar Fanatic

i think most people here talk about their distance with a stationary officer since you get longer distance with stationary cops. that and people like to brag.

i don't think i've ever bragged about an officer driving towards me and my detection distance before even if I have gotten multiple good 2+ minute warnings from officers driving in traffic towards me.

Old Timer

agreed..as a trucker u need an STi..talk to RW

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005
    agreed..as a trucker u need an STi..talk to RW
    Since when I'm a trucker :shock: got a CB and running it on a daily basis, and works super great, but still cannot inflate my 4-wheeler into an 18 one

If you are a trucker in the States, the STI is a MUST but also you have to learn where to mount it and then use it wisely...

Couple of hardworking truckers btwn us, firebird and ProudNMAmember, they know better than anybody else how to use the STI in your rig...

Advanced Member

Add another vote for the Sti.

Old Timer

no no i meant yea he is a trucker but u use ur STi 24/7 since u live in canada..i have only used mine a little bit

Newcomer

Default truck driver & have ? about STI driver

Thanks for all the info guys. I understand the STI is totaly RDD proof, but my main question is how much difference is there in detection distance on a average basis than a good V995??? Is the difference worth the extra 200.00? Thanks,
    stamp4