Newcomer

Default Bel V895 vs V985

New Tread guys sorry. For those of us that our wives will not let us purchase $250 radar detectors. In the eBay market shopping and I was comparing these 2 units. I need some feedback so I can make some clear decsion making.

Bel v895 vs. Bel v985

Bel v985 scored well on the 2003 SML, where the v895 took many by surprise in the 2005 SML

Which is the better detector for Highway use. Since I am travel alot in my car on the highway.

Thanks In Advance
    Duc :idea:

Good Citizen

Of those two I would chose the 895 have heard from a friend who has the unit its awesome.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Bel V895 vs V985

Quote Originally Posted by ducrider
    New Tread guys sorry. For those of us that our wives will not let us purchase $250 radar detectors. In the eBay market shopping and I was comparing these 2 units. I need some feedback so I can make some clear decsion making.

Bel v895 vs. Bel v985

Bel v985 scored well on the 2003 SML, where the v895 took many by surprise in the 2005 SML

Which is the better detector for Highway use. Since I am travel alot in my car on the highway.

Thanks In Advance
    Duc :idea:

Alright here is how I understand it to be.

The v895 is new and sold at Radio Shack and is 199.95. Iti is not upgradeable as far as I understand. Meaning if KU band shows up here as it is supposed to you would not have full coverage. It was excellent in the testing done by SML. I have heard the lower the price you go with Bel products the more false alarms you have. My Bel RX55 was sold for that reason. There are pros and cons to this detector.

The v985 is an older unit that is supposed to be software upgradeable, but from what I have read on this forum upgrades from Bel do not exist. You may want to call them first and ask about upgrades for the 985. It does not have KU band coverage either.

Both are good detectors at picking up radar and not so good at picking up laser, which you would need the Bel laser jammer that is sold seperately or Blinder laser jammer which raises the price above what you stated you wanted to spend.

If you want a good detector for the money and KU coverage and you like the Bel units call Roy and see what he will sell you a v995 for. Motor Trend just voted it the best value for the money. I think in the long run an 895 would be great but because of KU band not being on it you have to go with the 995. Hey that is just my thoughts. Don't take the wife out to one nice dinner and movie and you have the difference between the 895 and the 995. :idea: :idea:

Don't foget to order from Roy for a good deal.

www.radarbusters.com