Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Beltronics Pro RX65 radar detector review...

Hi everyone,

Well, despite the power at my house being knocked out today for nearly 8 hours due to a direct lightning strike to the power line just outside of my house, I finally have finished writing up my review of the Beltronics Professional RX65 Blue radar detector which I brought back from SML 2008. I have been evaluating this RX65 for nearly the past two weeks. Aside from its overall performance and features which I already was familiar with since I own the very similar Vector V995, I have to admit that I really liked the RX65's blue display. Read my full review:

MEM-TEK's Review of the Beltronics Professional Series RX65

I hope you enjoy reading my review! I welcome your comments, opinions, critiques and questions.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Hi everyone,

Well, despite the power at my house being knocked out today for nearly 8 hours due to a direct lightning strike to the power line just outside of my house, I finally have finished writing up my review of the Beltronics Professional RX65 Blue radar detector which I brought back from SML 2008. I have been evaluating this RX65 for nearly the past two weeks. Aside from its overall performance and features which I already was familiar with since I own the very similar Vector V995, I have to admit that I really liked the RX65's blue display. Read my full review:

MEM-TEK's Review of the Beltronics Professional Series RX65

I hope you enjoy reading my review! I welcome your comments, opinions, critiques and questions.
    excellent review memtek, verygood, and very detailible

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    I have to admit that I really liked the RX65's blue display.

The BEST display color there is. I really wouldn't have my Rev. 5 X50 any other way...

Good Citizen

Nice write-up!! I can tell you really took the time to evaluate its performance and I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Just for clarification, "Superb" is "best" and "excellent" is "near best" or is it the other way around? I think thats how I read it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind comments so far. Has anyone noticed any typos or poor grammar? Did I forget to mention any RX65 features? Do you all think that my review "hits the nail on the head?"

Quote Originally Posted by The_Disclaimer View Post
    ...Just for clarification, "Superb" is "best" and "excellent" is "near best" or is it the other way around? I think thats how I read it.
    Actually, I mean that Superb is "better than excellent performance" which some might consider to be overkill sensitivity, and that Excellent is "excellent performance." Only the most discriminating of RD users would demand and pay for Superb performance on a particular radar band. Also, please keep in mind that I try to write my reviews for the average driver and RD user or in other words "for the masses."

Good Citizen

Mem-Tek your write up is excellent! I've always wanted to look inside the RX65's circuitry and you have done a good job on your documentation. I feel so proud to own one.

The only thing I would ask you to include is a diagram or schematic showing the pin out of the RJ-11 connection. Other than that it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by VicRod74 View Post
    Mem-Tek your write up is excellent! I've always wanted to look inside the RX65's circuitry and you have done a good job on your documentation. I feel so proud to own one.

The only thing I would ask you to include is a diagram or schematic showing the pin out of the RJ-11 connection. Other than that it's awesome!
    Jimbonzzz a.k.a. "The Professor" posted a diagram detailing the pin outs for the RJ-11 connection and a circuit schematic for the Smartplug coiled cord. Try searching for it. If you can't find it then I will dig around on my hard drive and post the schematic.

Speed Demon

wow great review!

that is a great looking RD

Professional

MEM-TEK, sorry to hear about your bad luck with mother nature recently.

I wanted to offer a few comments on your RX65 review.

In your "Product Features" section, I noticed you used the description from the Beltronics website. The only part I have a problem with is thier claim of 10x Range vs Imports. I find this wording ambiguous since we don't know what imports they're talking about, therefore the comparison is purely conjecture. I know this isn't your wording, but I don't know if you would want to leave it as part of your review since the statement has little value.

Also, I believe the RX65 comes with a magnesium case (you listed it as aluminum). Please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe they changed the material in the time since my detector was purchased. Anyway, this is probably just nit-picking since its unlikely that anyone cares what the case is made out of.

I noticed a typo on one of your bullet points under "Notable Features:"

"The default AutoScan sensitivity mode automatically filters out X band microwave door openers, and performs additional signal processing to reject false alerts caused by many import brand radar detector models."

Also, I noticed you didn't mention the AutoMute feature in any detail. Of course this feature is fairly self explanatory and you did list it among the product features.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to write up and share your reviews with us. You consistently make valuable contributions to this forum and we are lucky to have you. I hope I didn't come off too nit-picky, just trying to offer a few suggestions.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Retaliation View Post
    MEM-TEK, sorry to hear about your bad luck with mother nature recently.

I wanted to offer a few comments on your RX65 review.

In your "Product Features" section, I noticed you used the description from the Beltronics website. The only part I have a problem with is thier claim of 10x Range vs Imports. I find this wording ambiguous since we don't know what imports they're talking about, therefore the comparison is purely conjecture. I know this isn't your wording, but I don't know if you would want to leave it as part of your review since the statement has little value.

Also, I believe the RX65 comes with a magnesium case (you listed it as aluminum). Please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe they changed the material in the time since my detector was purchased. Anyway, this is probably just nit-picking since its unlikely that anyone cares what the case is made out of.

I noticed a typo on one of your bullet points under "Notable Features:"

"The default AutoScan sensitivity mode automatically filters out X band microwave door openers, and performs additional signal processing to reject false alerts caused by many import brand radar detector models."

Also, I noticed you didn't mention the AutoMute feature in any detail. Of course this feature is fairly self explanatory and you did list it among the product features.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to write up and share your reviews with us. You consistently make valuable contributions to this forum and we are lucky to have you. I hope I didn't come off too nit-picky, just trying to offer a few suggestions.

-Brian
    Hi Brian,

Last night when hooking up all of the computers which control our telescopes here at our private observatory, I discovered that three of them plus a 140 foot USB extender are cooked even though they weren't plugged in. That was a mighty powerful EMP from the lightning!

Thanks for your comments regarding my review! You aren't being too nit picky at all. Indeed, I wish that others would voice their opinions regarding my reviews as well since my goal, aside from my personal observations about how well each RD performs and which I will not change, is for the rest of my review to "hit the nail on the head" with all of you guys who either own or have used the products which I review. Thus I am looking for comments, either positive or negative, regarding all other aspects of each RD model which I review.

I missed the 10X range vs. imports since I just quickly copied and pasted in the bulleted list from their web site. Thinking about it, I totally agree with you that this statement is ambiguous and that it is not entirely true with regards to every RD which is manufactured overseas. So shortly I am going to delete it. Mike B taught me not to include statements which are ambiguous when he reviewed my Pro78 write-up.

I assumed that the carrying case was aluminum. Its magnesium? I obviously need to fix that in my review. Thanks for catching that along with the typo! Mike B also taught me to double-check my facts. I should have checked to see what the carrying case was made of. Thats my bad.

You know, I read my review a couple of times but didn't notice that I didn't describe the AutoMute feature at all. I need to add that. Come to think of it, I need to add to my Whistler Pro78 review descriptions for its Auto Quiet Mode and Quiet Mode features which are similar to AutoMute.

Thanks again for your comments and observations!

--Michael