Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Vector 995 trouble

Hey guys. Haven't been on here in a long while. I was on extensively before deciding to go with the current detector I have. The info was awesome and have had numerous saves.

The weirdest thing happened this morning. I have had no issues, not one problem with my Bel and it wouldn't turn on today!!! I've taken it inside, checked the power cord (fuse not blown) and have no idea what to do. It has never done anything like this before and simply won't turn on. Any thoughts, ideas, etc??? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Professional

Did you check the fuses in your car too? Maybe try it in a different car and see if it powers up. If none of this works your only choice is to send it in for service or maybe if you're in the warranty period and you bought it at a retail store, try and exchange it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jmh60441 View Post
    Hey guys. Haven't been on here in a long while. I was on extensively before deciding to go with the current detector I have. The info was awesome and have had numerous saves.

The weirdest thing happened this morning. I have had no issues, not one problem with my Bel and it wouldn't turn on today!!! I've taken it inside, checked the power cord (fuse not blown) and have no idea what to do. It has never done anything like this before and simply won't turn on. Any thoughts, ideas, etc??? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    I would check the cig lighter socket. I would also see if you can get your hands on another power cord and try that, they go bad plus if you have the smartcord I believe it is special fast acting fuse or something to that effect and I am not sure if it is user replaceable or if you can tell if it is blown by looking at it. Last thought try it in another car.

Newcomer

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty. I have a dual outlet that plugs into my cigarette lighter, one for the Bel, the other for the Blackberry. The Blackberry is still getting a charge so I know it's not the fuse in the car.

How much can I expect to pay having it sent to Bel? I can't believe this all of a sudden happened, the thing is in like brand new shape and it just won't turn on.

Professional

Sorry, I don't have any experience dealing with Bel about repairs. I've heard out of warranty repairs can run as much as $80 with them though.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jmh60441 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm out of warranty. I have a dual outlet that plugs into my cigarette lighter, one for the Bel, the other for the Blackberry. The Blackberry is still getting a charge so I know it's not the fuse in the car.

How much can I expect to pay having it sent to Bel? I can't believe this all of a sudden happened, the thing is in like brand new shape and it just won't turn on.

I would try to get a hold of another power cord first.

As for sending it in, it is about 80 bucks.

Speed Demon

Isn't there a fuse in the plug end of the cord???

Radar Fanatic

If you have access to a voltmeter, check for voltage across the two center pins on the phone plug side while the lighter plug is plugged in and getting power to the lighter socket.

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01 View Post
    If you have access to a voltmeter, check for voltage across the two center pins on the phone plug side while the lighter plug is plugged in and getting power to the lighter socket.
    Exactly. The coiled Smartcord has an internal ceramic fuse, but the fuse is soldered to the tiny circuit board, is light green in color as I recall, and looks a lot like a resistor.

One simple test to see if the Smartcord itself isn't working due to a blown internal fuse:

If the fuse is good then, regardless of the condition of the radar detector, then either the Smartcord power or alert LED (I can't remember which) will briefly flicker when you plug the Smartcord into the RD. This assumes that the Smartcord is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and that the cigarette lighter socket is energized with 12V power. If you don't get this flicker under the aforementioned conditions, then I am 99% sure that the ceramic fuse in the coiled Smartcord is blown. The fuse, by the way, is manufactured by Littlefuse corp.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Exactly. The coiled Smartcord has an internal ceramic fuse, but the fuse is soldered to the tiny circuit board, is light green in color as I recall, and looks a lot like a resistor.

One simple test to see if the Smartcord itself isn't working due to a blown internal fuse:

If the fuse is good then, regardless of the condition of the radar detector, then either the Smartcord power or alert LED (I can't remember which) will briefly flicker when you plug the Smartcord into the RD. This assumes that the Smartcord is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and that the cigarette lighter socket is energized with 12V power. If you don't get this flicker under the aforementioned conditions, then I am 99% sure that the ceramic fuse in the coiled Smartcord is blown. The fuse, by the way, is manufactured by Littlefuse corp.

I always get that little flicker when I plug it in.