Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default RX X65 Has poor laser detection

I had a cobra XRS 777 (yuck) from walmart a few months ago before I sold it to a friend and got a Bel X65, and I tested the laser sensitivity of the Cobra with a laser activator and it would alert laser if aimed at from above, the left and right sides, the rear and even if not aimed at directly :shock: yet, the Bel X65 would only alert if aimed directly at the receiver and if aimed at the rear laser antennae from about 3 inches away. I know the cobra manual says laser falls within 904nm +-10nm, but the Bel manual just says 904nm. I know the valentine also looks for a 'nanometer range' and it has good laser detection from what I hear. Maybe the BEL's lack of laser detection should be it should look for scatter as well and not just a direct hit (904nm)? :?:

Speed Demon

Default Re: RX X65 Has poor laser detection

Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    I had a cobra XRS 777 (yuck) from walmart a few months ago before I sold it to a friend and got a Bel X65, and I tested the laser sensitivity of the Cobra with a laser activator and it would alert laser if aimed at from above, the left and right sides, the rear and even if not aimed at directly :shock: yet, the Bel X65 would only alert if aimed directly at the receiver and if aimed at the rear laser antennae from about 3 inches away. I know the cobra manual says laser falls within 904nm +-10nm, but the Bel manual just says 904nm. I know the valentine also looks for a 'nanometer range' and it has good laser detection from what I hear. Maybe the BEL's lack of laser detection should be it should look for scatter as well and not just a direct hit (904nm)? :?:
    The Rx65 has been having some major issues as of late and all we can hope for is that Bel is working on this issue.

Radar Fanatic

The Bel seems to have the poorest laser detection of the "big 3." It's hard to say why because the X50 appears to pick it up pretty well. I'm just making this statement based on the many, many videos and reports that I have seen of those two detectors. Even with the V1 my best defense against laser is my own eyes, though. So far I haven't had a hit where they tagged me before I knew they were there.

Lead Foot

Haven't had a problem with Laser detection on mine.Even the V1 works ok that I've got.

Experienced

Would it be possible for BEL to make an update where it would look for a wider range of lidar scatter? :idea:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    Would it be possible for BEL to make an update where it would look for a wider range of lidar scatter? :idea:
    If its software yes if its hardware no.

Experienced

Would it be possible for BEL to make an update where it would look for a wider range of lidar scatter?
    I am almost sure its hardware related. Their phototransistors or reciever is strickly on the 904 nm range. The V1 as someone mentioned is from 880(I think) to 920. This is why V1 is activated with some remote controls, but then again, is prone to false more often in laser than other units.

Experienced

I've been less than impressed with my RX65's laser detection. I've experienced similar results to your testing.

Lead Foot

BEL 940 has much better laser sensitivity than X-50.
    Go figure.

Advanced Member

Thankfully my BEL has great laser sensitivity

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96