Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default STi and LIDAR detection

Is anyone out there running their STi mounted high and having any sort of problems with LIDAR reception??? I have VEIL applied to my HL's and I also have a VEILed Laser Shield installed over my front license plate (jammer is NOT in my budget yet). Thanks again!

Old Timer

Default Re: STi and LIDAR detection

no i have not found the STi to be that good (v1 good) on picking up lidar...mounted low or high... but u might have a chance with the veil and ls from over 900 feet or so if u get hit

Experienced

I concur. The lidar detection of the STi driver is NOT very good (and I'm being polite). I think the chances of lidar detection are better mounted low, but you sacrifice radar detection slightly. If I were to place a numerical figure on the STi's lidar detection, I would say 30-35%. Compared to my V1, it's around 90-95%.

Speed Demon

On the two encounters I have had with the Sti mounted low (around three inches above a metallic grey hood) I was impressed with the performance. On both occasions it alerted briefly at 1000ft and 800ft respectively from other vehicles being targeted before I had seen the trap and got zapped myself.

Dunno how it would have gone mounted high.

I have had my STi mounted high above my RVM for months now. To date I have had three laser scatter alerts off of cars ahead of me. One of those episodes occured on I-75 where an out-of-state motorist blazed by me. He managed to stomp on the breaks about 2 seconds before he was zapped. I picked up scatter off of his vehicle while trailing about 800 feet behind him and in the next lane over. It was then my turn to get zapped! Yet that was no problem since the cop had left his Ka gun on and I had already slowed down well ahead of time. SML testing showed that the STi is weaker at picking up laser hits targeted at your vehicle's front plate area when the distance is anything less than 500 feet. I recall that the 9500i and RX65 faired a bit better than the STi, alerting at distances down to 350-400 feet.

I would rate the STi's laser performance as fair or average. Its not great, but there are a lot of other RD models out there which fare considerably worse against laser.

Old Timer

lets remember here that a RD rele isnt gonna save u against laser in most circumstances tho..u need a jammer

Professional

Hey MEM-TEK:

How close to the LEO were you when you got nailed? And did the STi alert being high-mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Hey MEM-TEK:

How close to the LEO were you when you got nailed? And did the STi alert being high-mounted?
    I didn't get nailed in the sense of getting a speeding ticket since I already had slowed down, but he hit me with laser at a distance of around 800 to 900 feet. My STi went crazy! Due to the Ka alert, I had already spotted the GSP car even before the out-of-state driver was first hit with laser.

Professional

depends on how far away you were hit, ive probally got mine mounted highest than anyone with there STI 9see sig) for what i drive and mine is above the RVm i pick laser up just fine.....

Good Citizen

Well I have my Sti Driver mounted High. I drive a a 2007 F150 and I have been targeted 3 times by laser and it has only gone off once so far. So the earlier post that says 30-35 percent of the time the Sti goes off may not be that far off. Out of the three times I have been targeted one time I recieved a ticket so the laser jammer is my next purchase, The evil Guelph Police use laser and are very sneaky so it's time to level the playing field..