Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Bel V985 DIY Repair Question

    I have a Bel V985 (out of warranty, of course) and want to replace the now-bad speaker and the stuck ON/OFF button. Removing two screws, I can get to the speaker easily, but access to the button requires I completely pop the case apart which I'm a-scared to try. The top appears to be swaged together with the plastic label panel and display holder endpiece, and the bottom appears to be one of those snap-together-once joints, again to the display endpiece. Anyone have experience with this? I'll post any helpful part #'s and repair info if I can get things fixed. It sounds like some folks have smashed their Bels in frustration & maybe they can pass along how things came apart. Bel's quote of $85 is a bit steep for a 1" speaker!

  2. #2
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    Well pop the halves apart. Fix the screw and speaker.

  3. #3
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default Re: Bel V985 DIY Repair Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 2warminaz
    I have a Bel V985 (out of warranty, of course) and want to replace the now-bad speaker and the stuck ON/OFF button. Removing two screws, I can get to the speaker easily, but access to the button requires I completely pop the case apart which I'm a-scared to try. The top appears to be swaged together with the plastic label panel and display holder endpiece, and the bottom appears to be one of those snap-together-once joints, again to the display endpiece. Anyone have experience with this? I'll post any helpful part #'s and repair info if I can get things fixed. It sounds like some folks have smashed their Bels in frustration & maybe they can pass along how things came apart. Bel's quote of $85 is a bit steep for a 1" speaker!
    You should be able to carefully pry the two halves of the case apart with a small flat blade screwdriver. If the repair is $85 anyway, you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself.

    GTO_04

  4. #4
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12

    Default .........

    I too have the same problem as you. My speaker blew a couple weeks ago and i don't want to send it away for $85 dollars. I took it out but don't know where to get a new one. I tried ebay, but most bids on used bel's go past $30. Any suggestion?? Did you fix your speaker yet???

  5. #5
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    K-55 land
    Posts
    414

    Default

    It has probably appeared before, but I will repeat it:
    The speaker is a 32-ohm 0.2W speaker.
    I have been picking up some ebay BELs and they have all been
    sold as clearances from Radio Shack and Circuit City. All have been DEFECTIVE, if you will excuse my shouting. After I prepare pictures detailing proper "case-cracking" of 940/960/985 BELs and test some replacement speakers, I will part out one of these bad-boys in order to cut my losses. Please PM me if you are interested in repair parts.

    In case I am violating a forum rule, let me emphasize that I am not selling radar detectors, rather I am

    i)trying to understand how crappy BELs can be (and why they charge $85 and Escort charges $45 for repairs), and ii)trying to help other members.

    Bill

  6. #6
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billgerr

    i)trying to understand how crappy BELs can be (and why they charge $85 and Escort charges $45 for repairs), and ii)trying to help other members.

    Bill
    I didn't realize that Escort repair charges are still only $45 each. Maybe they are trying to establish BEL is the premium brand by charging more to repair them.

    Swapping parts is a good idea to get around the exorbitant repair charges.

    GTO_04

  7. #7
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    K-55 land
    Posts
    414

    Default

    I was informed last week that a repair of a Solo S2 only cost $45, so I based this statement on that info.
    Bill

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billgerr
    I was informed last week that a repair of a Solo S2 only cost $45, so I based this statement on that info.
    Bill
    Looks like current information to me. How long ago did BEL raise the repair charge to $85? I had a 980 (over 2 years old) that gave me the "self cal"/"service required" message and BEL offered to fix that N/C. But now I read that they are not so generous anymore.

    GTO_04

  9. #9
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    K-55 land
    Posts
    414

    Default

    BEL had 2 and 3 year warranties on RDs 2 generations back. IIRC the 970/975? had a 3 year warranty as it was a cherry-picked version of yours.

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billgerr
    BEL had 2 and 3 year warranties on RDs 2 generations back. IIRC the 970/975? had a 3 year warranty as it was a cherry-picked version of yours.
    I remember the 970 having a longer warranty than the others. Maybe their repair costs (parts and labor) were getting high enough that they just had to charge more to fix them.

    GTO_04

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
  2. V985 Self Repair
    By MMeteor in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM
  3. Repair question?
    By Virion in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
  4. V985 Question
    By 8valvegrowl in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
  5. Bel V895 vs V985
    By ducrider in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •