Newcomer

Default received my Sti back, but seems less responsive now

I sent my STi back for the rampup update and 3 weeks later i finally got it back. They claimed it was delayed do to the holiday.

The rampup is much better but it seems like the range is shorter now. Is this just an interpertation of my mind because the rampup actually works right now? Or has anyone noticed the same thing? Also the volume seems much lower overall.

I have it set on factory default. When i scrolled thru the menu it was. pop & sws off and i am running in auto mode. Should i put pop on or should i have it setup different?

Default Re: received my Sti back, but seems less responsive now

Are you noticing this when driving by known K band door opener false locations which you have memorized? If so, then note that Bel has done some tweaks to weakly filter out K band door openers just as Autoscan automatically filters out X band door openers. Note that Bel has been very conservative in their approach to filtering out K band door openers. The STi only filters out very weak K band signals which it determines are coming from a pair or more of K band door openers. The filtering is just enough to make using the STi a bit quieter when driving around town, yet initially I and others thought that their STi's were somehow less sensitive. Trust me -- this is not the case!

One thing you might not know is that Bel also updated their algorithms for detecting very short bursts of instant-on radar. The result is that your STi will now alert to even very short bursts of I/O, yet there hasn't been an increase in false alerts.

Newcomer

mem-tek - thanks. that was exactly what i noticed. there are a few places on my commute that are auto-matic doors and things like that and they seemed to be really weak. But it sounds like it is the new filtering, which is great.

It seems like Ka is the same, but the ramp-up is much smoother, i guess it is just the mental perception of the new improvements. I have been running it in autoscan mode and it is very quiet. Almost scary quiet now.

You mentioned I/O. Are pop & I/O the same, or am i confused? I kept pop & sws off. Should i put them on with the new software or continue to keep them off?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ebg18t View Post

You mentioned I/O. Are pop & I/O the same, or am i confused? I kept pop & sws off. Should i put them on with the new software or continue to keep them off?
    No, POP and IO are not the same. POP is a special mode on some radar guns that sends out a 16ms or 67ms (very short) burst of radar for estimation purposes. Turning on POP detection simply makes your detector alert to short bursts of radar that are otherwise filtered out as falses.

Instant-on radar lasts probably 10-20x as long in duration compared to a POP burst -- turning off POP does not affect your ability to sniff out IO.

Newcomer

i just picked up an ka band signal in the city...however the range that i picked up the signal until i saw the police was less then 1km..i was like wth??..
    the police in Hamilton Ontario was running a constant on ka band with the road block right 90 degrees where i was driving. first of all, i heard a ka band 1x alert...and after 1sec it turned to a full alert......was that normal?.....eventhough police was 90 degress facing where i was drivng (not facing toward me thoguh, away from me.. however, it shouldnt be that less responsive with a constant on ka......@O@

Power User

Police radar is a directional microwave signal. A perpendicular source is one of the hardest ones to detect because the scatter isn't even directly traveling in your direction, unlike forward-facing. The detection range you got is perfectly reasonable, in fact, pretty impressive, for perpendicular off-axis Ka.

Having a great detector like the STi is NOT about penis-comparisons with who can get that 5-mile or 7-mile save. WHO CARES? In that kind of encounter a $40 Cobra could have saved your rear in time. No, seriously -- I wasn't joking.

Where a ultra-sensitive detector pays off is in a situation like this, where an extremely difficult to detect signal was detected in time for you to adjust your speed. A cheaper less sensitive detector wouldn't have alerted you at all to this situation, or give you a 1-second alert.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Police radar is a directional microwave signal. A perpendicular source is one of the hardest ones to detect because the scatter isn't even directly traveling in your direction, unlike forward-facing. The detection range you got is perfectly reasonable, in fact, pretty impressive, for perpendicular off-axis Ka.

Having a great detector like the STi is NOT about penis-comparisons with who can get that 5-mile or 7-mile save. WHO CARES? In that kind of encounter a $40 Cobra could have saved your rear in time. No, seriously -- I wasn't joking.

Where a ultra-sensitive detector pays off is in a situation like this, where an extremely difficult to detect signal was detected in time for you to adjust your speed. A cheaper less sensitive detector wouldn't have alerted you at all to this situation, or give you a 1-second alert.
    x2 il agree with this and really its all about when ur on the highway and leo is shooting i/o up ahead and you are able to pick a burst up for a mile or 2 ahead

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ebg18t View Post
    Is this just an interpertation of my mind because the rampup actually works right now?
    That gets my vote.