Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default My first "real" experience with the X65.

Hey all. Last night I took my wife's Bel X65 with me from Kokomo to Indy to get more familar with it, and now I have some quick questions. First off, I use it in USA mode, Auto sensing, with POP and X band turned on. Basically EVERYTHING is turned on.

Somewhere around or past SR28 on US31 going south, I got alerted out of no where to POP. The RD just went off, I think it flashed POP and gave a very quick beeping sound for about 5 seconds or so. There were no other alerts after this. Just a big 'ol burst of POP, then nothing. What does that mean?? Also, it did this again coming home in the exact same spot. The only thing around are fields and one little corner "market" type place. I'm not sure what the building is or what they sell. I think I saw a bunch of golf carts outside, so they must sell those and some other junk.

In reading here, I'm asuming that POP should be followed by another type of radar reading correct? When I got closer to Indy, I did notice another POP alert, then immediately a faint Ka alert. Does that mean someone in the area was using POP, then switched to Ka?

Also, you guys talk about falsing. I think I experienced some of this just before 465 because there are a lot of corporate buildings there. It seems that it's mostly K or X band alerts. And usually the signal never gets past a couple of "bars" on the RD. So, is this picking up the buildings directly in front of me, or the ones a mile or so ahead of me??

When the RD goes off, I check my speed because I'm never really sure just where the threat is. Obviously if it's more than halfway up on the strength, something is close by. But I think what I'm experiencing is falsing cuz it's never more than a few bars. Is the bar strength my indicator as to how close LEO is? I guess I need to know how quickly to react to things.

Thanks guys!!
    Jason

Power User

POP can false from somethings, example is cheap detectors in other cars. If you encounter a real POP experience the cop will not necessarily change the gun to normal mode unless the cop sees a speed of interest or doesn't use it properly and writes tickets with POP only. I have noticed that sometimes the POP alert goes off intermittently if you encounter a constant on Ka source which could explain the faint Ka signal you received.

Experienced

Just a big 'ol burst of POP, then nothing. What does that mean??

From Radar Roy's Site:

"MPH has developed POP mode for use in their police radar guns. POP mode allows an officer to send a quick "burst" at 33.8 MHz, 67 MS. to allow an officer to get a quick and speed check without alerting approaching vehicles. MPH claims that 95% of all the radar detectors in use today cannot pick-up their radar guns while being operated in their POP mode."

In reading here, I'm asuming that POP should be followed by another type of radar reading correct?
    Not always I have been POP'd by an LEO when I was within literally 10 feet of him, and no other alert. But if he does a POP then switches over to conventional mode (the way it SHOULD be done) and pulls and Instant-On, your detector should pick that up as a faint signal if he's further ahead or out of sight.

So, is this picking up the buildings directly in front of me, or the ones a mile or so ahead of me??
    Most likely buildings if you are in an area heavily populated with automatic door openers.

Is the bar strength my indicator as to how close LEO is?
    This is approximately, because you could have a low signal and he could be behind a curve, a hidden area or he could actually be a few miles ahead. Its a 'relative' idea of where he may be.

Newcomer

Ok cool. But it seems odd to me that a place in the middle of nowhere would alert to POP both coming and going, with about 7 hours in between. The only way I can confirm this is to see if it does it the next time I travel that way, which will be this weekend.

I dig what your saying about the Garage Door openers, but when I get these alerts, it's usually near big corporate buildings with no other housing around, and sometimes near CVS drug stores.

I need to check the manual, but w/ POP, the alert I always get shows no "bar" strength which would make sense, but a very fast beeping sound. Never a slower pace of beeping. So, this must mean that detecting POP is all or nothing? And if it DOES go off, hit the brakes?

thanks!
    Jason

Newcomer

You don't get any signal strength bars when POP goes off, it just flashes the word POP for about 5 seconds and scares the crap out of you. I live in somewhat of a rural area myself and have had POP alert with nothing else around me but normal vehicles so I assumed someone else had a RD that set mine off. I've also been behind a LEO before and my detector constantly alternated between POP and Ka alerts so I'd treat any alert with caution because you never know...

Experienced

I dig what your saying about the Garage Door openers, but when I get these alerts, it's usually near big corporate buildings with no other housing around, and sometimes near CVS drug stores.
    Automatic door openers, not garage door openers (although some cause K band falses too)

Automatic door openers are like the ones you see in big buildings and walgreens and CVS, when you walk up, they open.

Yes POP is sort of "All or nothing" since it happens so rapidly. You shouldn't lock your brakes but slow down safely, you could also get false POP alerts from other cheap radar detectors around you, but you might be able to distinguish because it will alert POP nonstop until that car is gone. If it says POP and thats all, and you seem to be in an area with not a lot of 'interference' I suggest you slow down more it could be a trap ahead.

Good Citizen

Please turn X back on ops:
    I read a post the other day and he said up in northern Indiana there was a policeman using X band. So especially in northern Indiana ,around where you are I would definitely leave it on. Of course there are smaller counties that probably still use it and haven't upgraded to K or KA... 8)

Newcomer

I couldn't figure out why you assumed I had X turned off, then I read my original post and missed typed!! I said that I had "POP and X turned out", which makes no sense. HA! I meant to say that POP and X are on, and that EVERYTHING was on basically. I also operate it in the USA mode, not Intl, and I'm running version 4.5.

I'm still puzzled by what tripped my POP on in that one area though. The business was closed both times I passed it, and doesn't strike me as an "automatic door" type place. Not to mention it's in a somewhat remote area. I'll be able to test it again when I go back down this weekend.

Thanks for the tips!

jason

Good Citizen

I have traveled through Indianapolis quite a bit with my X50 as well as Kokomo and I have found that there are many things along the road that trigger my X50 to false on POP. Especially there on 31 there are like ethernet or cellphone tower things that make it false. Down here in southern IN my X50 has gone off before because of a cell phone. I think especially in IN that there are alot of things that cause POP falses :cry:

Professional

My X50's POP tends to false on I-10 in Phoenix quite often. 9 times out of 10 I look around for what could be causing the malfunction, and I see a car passing me with a Cobra hanging in the windshield.