Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default USA VS. INTL testing on RX65.

    Today I got the chance to do a little testing against a stationary 33.800GHz Ka source. The roads were in such a way that I would be coming around 90 degree corners towards the radar beam, which made it VERY hard to detect.

    Constant settings:
    X, K - ON
    SWS, POP - OFF
    LASER - ON

    Detector was a Rev 3.2 RX65 mounted high in a Ford Escort.

    INTL mode / City - Seemed to make a a few second variance in when the detecto would alert. Sometimes the detector would seem to miss the signal for a while then jump into a 3 Bar instant-on type alert.

    USA mode /City - Always detected in exactly the same spot, started off at one bar every time and then increased gradually.

    INTL mode / Autoscan - This seemed to be a bad combination. I ran a different route a couple times with this setting - I was coming directly at the radar source for a longer period of time. The warning times varied greatly. On one run, I was dead line-of-sight before the detector alerted. It seemed to delay the alerts from the INTL/City runs by a MINIMUM of one second, sometimes, it seemed closer to three.

    Take these for what they're worth. While the differences may not seem like much, keep in mind that the best warnings I was getting (USA/City) were only about 10-12 seconds due to the angle of the radar transmitter and layout of the streets. This was an extremely difficult test. A drop of 3 seconds when you're only getting 10 to start with is substantial in my opinion!

  2. #2
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Personally I always ran on INTL then I changed to USA mode as well and noticed on Ka it alerts much much further away, I have no idea why, but AutoScan seems to "dull" the brain of the detector down to "highway" level if theres many falses and if not it becomes "hyper-sensitive" to where things seem like instant on attacks... :?

  3. #3
    Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Do you mean CITY mode is more sensitive than HIGHWAY mode?

  4. #4
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Wow, nice analysis Compu44. I have recently found a constant K band source on my way home from work and I will also test the INTL\\USA modes on my RX65 rev. 4.5. One thing that I noticed on your test Compu44 is that you did not mention any settings on Highway mode during your tests of INTL vs. USA. I was always told that highway mode was more sensitive so I find myself running in Highway mode all the time. I will test with my K band source on INTL and USA and will report back. One more thing, I guess there are always downsides to whatever mode you use because according to research done in this forum, INTL mode was the mode of choice because it did a more thourough sweep of radar frequencies therfore detecting guns that are not calibrated correctly that may fall outside of normal frequencies. I will report back with my findings. Thanks Compu44 for the info.

  5. #5
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I will see if I can do some tests as well. There is a local K band speed reader near me which I could use for tests. I'll see if its still there and what happens... 8)

  6. #6
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    compu44's tests are consistent with how I understand that it operates.
    In the USA, I recommend USA mode.

    See what I had to say about it in this thread:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=international

  7. #7
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    I have recently found a constant K band source on my way home from work and I will also test the INTL\\USA modes on my RX65 rev. 4.5.
    K band detection is not affected by changing Ka mode to : USA or International.

    Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    One more thing, I guess there are always downsides to whatever mode you use because according to research done in this forum, INTL mode was the mode of choice because it did a more thourough sweep of radar frequencies therfore detecting guns that are not calibrated correctly that may fall outside of normal frequencies.
    USA mode has nothing to do with sweeping the entire range, the X65 will still sweep slightly out of range and will detect even poorly calibrated radar guns, the INTL mode seems to be to detect Photo Radar slightly better by not just concentrating on the main frequencies used by guns but also frequencies used by Photo Radar. Search the forum for the other threads about USA vs INTL mode. It was beaten to death in one post. :wink:

  8. #8
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Lol yeah I just noticed that we're talking about Ka too, sorry my bad ops:

  9. #9
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    compu44's tests are consistent with how I understand that it operates.
    In the USA, I recommend USA mode.

    See what I had to say about it in this thread:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=international

    LOL, he posted while I was typing, THERE is the post where INTL vs USA was beaten to death. 8)

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RensoreK
    USA mode has nothing to do with sweeping the entire range, the X65 will still sweep slightly out of range and will detect even poorly calibrated radar guns, the INTL mode seems to be to detect Photo Radar slightly better by not just concentrating on the main frequencies used by guns but also frequencies used by Photo Radar. Search the forum for the other threads about USA vs INTL mode. It was beaten to death in one post. :wink:
    Actually it DOES have to do with sweeping the entire range. In USA mode, the RX-65 only sweeps the three main frequencies used in US radar guns: 33.8 GHz (MPH), 34.7 GHz (Stalker) and ~35.5 GHz (Kustom/Decatur). This will actually give better sensitivity to the US guns.

    INTL mode sweeps the whole 2.6 GHz Ka range of 33.4-36 Ghz.

    The NON-US Detectors are different, they will do the same type of thing (but on different frequencies) in order to have more range for weak photo radar. USA mode on the RX-65 will completely miss photo radar.

    See this thread for a more thorough explanation:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=international

    Jim

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM
  2. Testing Escort x50 & Bel RX65, Perth WA
    By fastnfurious80 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 04:34 AM
  3. Rx65 Ka USA or Intl
    By booyakasha07 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 07:28 AM
  4. Straight up!!!! rx65 USA or INTL????
    By NRTrackChamp2004 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 03:38 PM
  5. laser detection testing on bel rx65
    By andy in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 07:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •