Thread: RX85 problem

Newcomer

Default RX65 problem

Hello all,
    I have this problem with my RX65 getting a false laser single.It seems to only happen when the detector is facing into the sun on a non cloudy day but I may just be crazy.It started a few months ago and that seems to be the only problem Im having.I keep it set to autoscan and I think I have the 6.3 revision if I remember right.Am I crazy to think or notice it only does it when the sun is very bright and shinning right into the front window because that really does seem to be the only time it does this..

Thanks,Shark
    Last edited by SharkDiver; 02-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Lead Foot

Default Re: RX85 problem

Laser is light after all. I haven't heard of detectors falsing in bright sun light but there have been reports of bright sun light setting off the blinders so that could be it. The only false I've had is from those LED tail lights on some SUV's.

Newcomer

The sun hitting it seems to be the only consistent thing that happens when I get the false laser.It will keep setting it off also and what I mean by that is it will sound like this...Laser alert!!beep beep Laser Alert!! beep beep Laser Alert!beep beep and so on..It dont just say laser alert 1 time then just keeps beeping..

Hi SharkDiver,

Sunlight, especially especially if the sun is behind some tree limbs and the sunlight flickers through the tree limbs, can cause false laser alerts. Its also been shown that if the radar detector is vibrating on the dash or windshield, then the vibration makes the sunlight entering the laser sensor flicker. So your first step might be to check your RX65's bracket and make sure that the RD is securely attached and that it isn't vibrating against the windshield. If vibration isn't the cause and if you have hard wired your RX65, then its time to check the hardwire kit's power and ground connections and make sure that the connections are solid.

Experienced

I had a problem like this with my X-50 about 2-3 years ago. I sent it in and they said they had to put some extra filtering over the sensor. I do not know what they meant by filtering, but it fixed the problem. If your detector is in warranty I would call them up to get it fixed after trying what MEM-TEK said.

Newcomer

Thanks for the replys..I will check to make sure its secure and it is hardwired so I will check the connections.

Thanks

Good Citizen

I got a few false laser alerts on mine before. I know they were fake because we dont have laser close around here yet. I dont know what caused it but it sure scared the **** out of me. That alert will wake the dead.

The first laser alert I ever got with my STi scared the daylights out of me. Keep in mind that I was using an amplified speaker with my STi as well and had the volume set to "piercing".